Author Topic: Jahanssen from Sweden or Norway emigrated to South Africa  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jahanssen from Sweden or Norway emigrated to South Africa
« on: Sunday 19 February 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi can some one help me please. I am looking for a man with a surname Jahanssen who was born on board ship to South Africa, either from Sweden or Norway. This could of taking place between the years 1880 - 1920. I have nothing else to go on.

Maria Theodora Jacoba Johanssen born 1934 died 2015 could be related to this man.

Thanks.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline scott family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jahanssen from Sweden or Norway emigrated to South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 22 01:27 BST (UK) »
I think I am related to this name througth Scott from Norway

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 22 04:38 BST (UK) »
Check Findmypast or Ancestry for shipping lists to South Africa. They are pay for view
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 22 04:43 BST (UK) »
Is this your Maria Theodora? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKB-D3QG-R?cc=2821281

If so she was born in South Africa and would have had an 11 digit ID number - you could use that to apply for her birth certificate - if you ask for a Vault Copy it should contain the names of her parents. If you are not based in South Africa you can apply through the nearest Embassy or you can contact a document ordering service in South Africa to obtain it for you. Be aware it can take time!
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 22 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gillian. I have completed the Johanssen tree to as far as I wanted to go, five or six years ago.
Maria's father was
James Johanssen b. 1908, her mother Martha Johanna van Niekerk b. 1908
 James was the son of Torvald Johanssen b. 30 Apr 1876 Rygge, Osrfold, Norway and died 8 Aug 1916 Johannesburg. He married Hester Lawrence b. 1874 Cape Town on the 29 Jun 1896 Cape Town. They had 11 children. James being the nine child.

James Johanssen b. 1908, her mother Martha Johanna van Niekerk b. 1908 married 23 Dec 1933 in Boksburg, Tvl. James was a miner and Martha was a teacher. They had 8 children, Maria the first born.

Torvald Johanssen b. 30 Apr 1876 Rygge, Osrfold, Norway. He was the son of Soren Johanssen b. 14 Mar 1846 Vestfol, Norway. And mother Anette Andersen b.1853, Norway.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey