Author Topic: Kidderminster library look up please  (Read 1962 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Kidderminster library look up please
« on: Sunday 19 February 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if some kind person is going to kidderminster library sometime over the next few days and check through the old newspapers for me  ?
I am looking for the obituarys of Alfred J Thomas and his wife Gertrude Thomas -

Alfred J Thomas , undertaker of  31 George Street, Kidderminster died 20th February 1959.
(his widow Gertrude later moved to Turton Street)
Gertrude Thomas of Turton street Kidderminster died 13th March 1962

any help wouldbe much appreciated...

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Kidderminster library look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 March 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

I shall be going to Hartlebury WOR for a few weeks holiday in APR/MAY & when away I try to spend one day a week looking at parish registers in the HIVE at Worcester & they also have Kiddderminster Shutte & Times back numbers on film so if you can wait a few weeks I will have a look for you

All the very best

Phil
Weston-Super-Mare

ps I moved to Weston from Kidderminster in 1971 :)
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

I shall be going to Hartlebury WOR for a few weeks holiday in APR/MAY & when away I try to spend one day a week looking at parish registers in the HIVE at Worcester & they also have Kiddderminster Shutte & Times back numbers on film so if you can wait a few weeks I will have a look for you

All the very best

Phil

Weston-Super-Mare

ps I moved to Weston from Kidderminster in 1971 :)

Thankyou. i will send you a private message

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi There

This is all I could do so far as I was unable to find Alfred for the date you gave me or 3 weeks papers arter that so went on to Gertrude who I found

Kidderminster Shuttle & Stourport Courier 16MAR1962
Page 7 column 7
                            Mrs G. Thomas

Mrs Gertrude Thomas aged.69 of 28 Turton Street, Kidderminster, the widow of a widow of a well known undertaker in the town, died suddenly in the General Hospital on Tuesday.

(obituary notice - same page as above but column 1)
Thomas (Gertrude) late of 28 Turton Street Kidderminster, widow of Alfred James Thomas died at Kidderminster & District General Hospital on March 13, 1962 aged 68 years.
Funeral : Monday March 19, 1962
Service : George Street Methodist Church at 2.30pm
Interment : Kiderminster Cemetery 3.15

I hope this is a bit of use to you

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

I also looked at the parish register film for Upper Arley but was only able to find one entry for you due to the late dates
page199 number1590
Thomas Potter//5 Top Row, Shatterford// DEC 1st 1977// aged 68 - was BURd

Baps go up to 1964
Mars go up to1963
Burs go up to 1977

I hope this burial record will help you & you can quote the source as Parish Register film held at the HIVE (Worcester Record Office)

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I just realised why I couldn't find Alfred Thomas - I was searching for him in 1960 like a prat😀

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Again
I've found a good obituary for A. J. Thomas

Kidderminster Shuttle (as before) 27FEB1959 page 7 col2
Acknowledgements
The Widow, Sons & Family of the late Mr A. J. Thomaswish to thank friends, relations & neighbours for their messages of sympathy & floral tributes received in their sad berivement.

Obituary same paper same page col 9
               Mr A. J. Thomas
Mr Alfred James Thomas,31 George street, Kidderminster, who died on Friday last week at his home at the age of 64, was well-known in the business life of the town for his connection with the business of G. Thomas & Son, complete funeral directors, which has been carried on in George street since its inception in 1887, and will be continued as hitherto.
   After Army service in the First World War, Mr Thomas took over the direction of the business on the death of his father, Mr George Thomas, who had been its founder.
   Deceased, who was a keen member of the Chester road Bowling Club and a great lover of the game, was a vice-president of the club, of which he had been a member for many years.
   Mr Thomas, who had been in failing health for the last few months, is survived by his widow(formerly Miss Gertfude Morris)and two sons, Mr George Thomas of Leomington and Fred Thomas of Kidderminster.
   The funeral took place onWednesday at the cemetery, interment there being preceded by a service at George street Methodist Church, with which the family had a long association.
   The service was conducted by the Rev.L. W. Tattersall, who gave a moving address.

All the very best

Phil
ps I hope this is ok as I've not checked my typing for errors
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

There were a lot of floral tributes mentioned in the obituary but I honestly didn't have time to write them all down so I would advise you to get in touch with the Hive at Worcester & ask them to make a copy & either post to you or e mail to you as the obituary is over a third of a colum in the paper, there is a downside to this though as you would have to pay them for 30min work which would cost £12.85. On the other hand you could ask if anyone who is going there could purchase a copy & scan it then send that to you. - I regret I am unable to do this for you

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:45 BST (UK) »
His obituary might have made the pages of the trade journal, contact the National Association Funeral Directors and ask them

http://www.nafd.org.uk/contact-the-nafd/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea