Author Topic: Birmingham History Forum  (Read 4395 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birmingham History Forum
« on: Sunday 19 February 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Was wondering if any RootsChat members are also members of the online "Birmingham History Forum"? It seems to be an active forum and I have attempted to join in the last few weeks, as there are some common family history interests. My attempt of signing up have failed three times. My 2nd attempt got as far as allowing me to detail my profile after confirming my email (but not creating or responding to posts), but today my log-in and membership had disappeared (again). I have attempted to enrol for a third (and final time) today. I was wondering if anyone has similar issues, since BHF do not reply to emails? As a Warwickshire Resource, BHF seems a worthy site, but it doesn't seem to conform to normal forum rules, such as RootsChat. Help appreciated.

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham History Forum
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I have been a member for several years & had no problem signing up.
I don't visit the site every day, BUT, I vaguely remember there was a message last week saying that the site would be down for a couple of days this month for maintenance.
Unfortunately I can't remember the dates, but all I can recommend is that you keep trying.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I have been a member for several years & had no problem signing up.
I don't visit the site every day, BUT, I vaguely remember there was a message last week saying that the site would be down for a couple of days this month for maintenance.
Unfortunately I can't remember the dates, but all I can recommend is that you keep trying.

"from approx 21st of Feb - 23rd of Feb the server will be down for service and maintenance. During this time you will be greeted with a page cannot be displayed. We will be back as soon as the maintenance is complete."

M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I saw the message, but it doesn't really explain what's been happening over recent weeks, i.e. why membership gets deleted before you can even get started. Looks my third attempt had no result in the end, so I will drop it.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
A good forum but you don't get alerts via e-mail to tell you when you get a reply like you do with Rootschat.
It was through this forum that I was able to make contact with a whole side of the family which we didn't know existed due to an illegitimate birth. We met up in Oxford where our relative had lived and have been in contact ever since.
Never had any problems signing in.
Persevere, any extra resource is invaluable. There might just be that person who can knock down a brick
wall.  I stumbled on this forum accidentally by just googling a relative's name.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
It is a very good resource if you require information on Birmingham, I would be inclined to try again at the end of this week, if that fails PM me with an update on the latest failure and I will PM "Postie" on BHF with your story.

Regards
Colin

PS: You get one alert but no further ones until you have logged in again
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer, ColC. I will advise you in a few days.
Mark

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
All - I’d like to wrap up this post by thanking ColC for assistance in getting me enrolled in the Birmingham History Forum (BHF) and especially sharing the communication below. I spent a good while on Sunday connecting with some distant cousins and volunteering information after my 4th enrolment attempt was successful. However, today I received this message “You have been banned for the following reason: Breaking of rule regarding advertising on this site..” As my posts were no different to normal RootsChat posts, it is difficult to see what BHF means by “advertising”. So I missed out on my cousins responding.

I would like to ensure that RootsChat members, such as ColC, don’t stop helping others when odd things like this occur. The reason BHF gives does not make sense (advertising what?). RootsChat & BHF members need to be aware that the BHF apparently appears to have a limit on the number of posts that a member can make in a given period, if the message below is true. Too many messages = banned; but there is no warning or explanation. If you can’t post to a forum, it does negate the purpose of membership. Without posts, RootsChat would not be the fantastic source it is.

What should be of greatest concern to RootsChat/BHF members is that the BHF has an administrator who ignores confidentially and data security, thereby making it a non-trustworthy site. I will be warning researchers and blogging about this in the wider genealogy community. BHF have never communicated with me as a member, however they are prepared to discuss me and details of my membership with another member, in this case ColC. Had this not been shared (and I am very grateful to ColC for that), this unethical conduct would not have been exposed. This clear break of data confidentiality indicates the Birmingham History Forum does not keep membership info safe. I would have closed my membership immediately, had they not done it for me. RootsChat/BHF members may want to get assurances from BHF that their membership information is kept confidential.

I am happy to share this message for the benefit of RootsChat members:
“Hello Clarkie, we have picked up on various posts from the general genealogist and it appears that he has asked for information on several different families, we don't mind helping out our members but we don't take posts for several inclusions at once. I am sorry but I have no alternative but to rescind his membership immediately. I am only letting you know as a courtesy to you as a valued member of the Forum.. Jim”

Best wishes,
Mark

Offline Stelspells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone out there help me to get registered?  I have been through the whole process and it constantly says my account is awaiting confirmation and that they have sent an email to me.  I have re-requested it about a million times and it never comes!  I have also tried with another email account - same thing!  I see that lots of new members have signed up recently - so what is the problem?  have checked my spam and junk - everything!
Have also emailed them loads of times but they don't respond....
Help!
Stella