Author Topic: ANDREW KER/KERR  (Read 3410 times)

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ANDREW KER/KERR
« on: Sunday 19 February 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I have found two Andrew Ker's on ScotlandsPeople - both listed as son of Andrew Ker and Mary Blackbel/Blackbill.  The first was born in Hawick in April 1808 and the second born in Hawick in 1814.  Normally, I would think that the first son died, and when the second son was born 6 years later, they named him Andrew also.

However, I have Andrew b. 1808 married to Helen Renwick on 25 December 1829 in Jedburgh and subsequently having a daughter, Violet, who married James Grahamslaw in 1852 in Jedburgh before migrating to America and settling in Portland, Oregon. 

If the theory of naming the second son after the first deceased son, then Andrew #2 would be a youthful 15 when he married.

I cannot find a death record but do have the marriage record for Andrew and Helen. 

I would appreciate any direction.  Thanks in advance.
Ireland, Scotland, England, United States, Germany, Australia.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ANDREW KER/KERR
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1841,1851,1861 census Andrew Kerr was a Mason/builder living in Jedburgh (states born in Jedburgh circa 1808) Helen his wife place of birth varies between Hobkirk and Jedburgh and their marriage  on Scotlandspeople states Hobkirk - Violet their daugther would suggest that Helen's mother was called Violet

thier Violet daughter was a domestic servant in Jedburgh 1851 census

Looking at the record the family could be Non-conformist, so some of the record will not show up on Scotlandspeople

Also found a family Andrew Ker & Mary Ker living in Littledeanlees (Crailing) nr Jedburgh in the 1841
 census

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your data.  It really confirms that I have the correct Andrew, Helen and Violet.  Still curious why there was another son, Andrew.  You were absolutely spot on about the name Violet.  Seems her grandmother and great=grandmother were Violets, (still need records of some kind, but certainly a strong connection, I feel).  Thanks again. 

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a death for an Andrew Kerr in Jedburgh in 1876 aged 68. I also note that in the Scottish Wills index there is an entry for an Andrew Kerr, Mason, Jedburgh died 3 May 1876 at Jedburgh, intestate. (Record showing as an inventory). Given that there is only the one death showing for Andrew Kerr in Jedburgh in 1876 might this be your man?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely!  This all fits in nicely with Andrew #1.  Thanks so much for the data.   Robyn

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Just to add there is this death notice from The Southern Reporter 11th May 1876

"At 67 Canongate, Jedburgh, on the 3rd inst. , Andrew Kerr, mason, in the 69th year of his age".

His death cert.on Scotland's People will hopefully give you his parents' names.

William

Added The Calendar of Confirmations states that confirmation was granted at Jedburgh 29 May 1876 to Helen Renwick or Kerr, Canongate of Jedburgh, Executrix dative, qua relict(i.e widow).
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful!  Thanks so much for your expertise.  Robyn

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 March 17 02:34 GMT (UK) »
I'd just like to state that it's really important to get that death record to confirm you've got the right guy.

In my experience researching family from Hawick, if someone was born in Hawick, he wouldn't say he was born in Jedburgh. Also, the second Andrew born in 1814 would not have been named Andrew unless his brother born in 1808 had died.

It's possible that there was another Andrew Ker who was born in Jedburgh circa 1808 to another couple. My hunch would be that he might have been a cousin to the Andrew born in Hawick in 1814.

None of that means you are automatically wrong, of course, but you definitely need confirmation.

I hope you'll post a follow-up once you know for sure; I'd like to know how it turns out.

Good luck in your search!

Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 17 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Josephine.  You've given me a couple of new lines to research now.  I will definitely post results when I check out your suggestions.  It may be another week (vacation) but I will get back to you.  Thanks again.  Robyn