Author Topic: ANDREW KER/KERR  (Read 3409 times)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ANDREW KER/KERR
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
In principle yes, but the older death certificates can problems too - parents information depends on who is registering the death and their knowledge of persons family for example if a son in law or a non relative, etc registers it  - I had one of my elderly great grandparents listed wrong by her grand daughter's husband had put her grandmother's name on it as the mother, because of lack of knowledge. - so it pays to double check

also, it is not uncommon for a children born in one place in the Borders to be christened in another especiallt if the family are non-conformist - especially between Hawick and Jedburgh parish areas as the family ties are very close

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 March 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Those are all valid points, terianne; that's why it's important (and usually necessary) to search for as much corroboration as possible to prove we're following the correct line.

Andrew Ker was not an uncommon name. Just because there was one baptized in Hawick in 1814 doesn't automatically mean he was the same person as the Andrew Ker who was born in Jedburgh circa 1808 and died in 1876. As you pointed out, some people were non-conformists and were not necessarily baptized in the same town or city where they were born; in addition, not all church records have survived. So the 1814 baptism might be for Violet's father but it might not. (The 1808 baptism most definitely is not, unless there were two Andrew Ker + Mary Blackbel/bill couples who were having children at around the same time.)

Consulting the 1876 death record and the will would be a good start and should be helpful in proving the relationship between the Andrew Ker who was the father of Violet Ker (who married James Grahamslaw). At least that's the hope.

The death record should indicate the names of Andrew Ker's parents; if they're the same parents as the ones in the 1814 baptism, then that's a good reason to spend time researching that family; if they're someone else, then that's a good reason to spend time researching them. As you stated, records can contain erroneous information, so the hope would be to find other documentation that would confirm or correct the information that has already been found. Sometimes that is more straightforward than at other times, depending on the records that are still available.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 March 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I have now found the 1876 death certificate for Andrew Kerr, (mason) married to Helen Renwick, but it shows his parents as ROBERT Kerr and JANET BOYD.  He died at 67 Canongate, Jedburgh.   Now another set of parents' names to muddy the waters.  I thought I was looking for Andrew Kerr and Mary Blakebell, now it seems I should be looking for Robert Kerr and Janet Boyd.  ScotlandsPeople becomes expensive after awhile, doesn't it?  I have found nothing else.
Ireland, Scotland, England, United States, Germany, Australia.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Some free searches which might help for 1841 1851 & 1861 census' for Scottish borders check out Maxwell ancestry - Scotlandspeople 1881 (lds) census

Igi/lds family search but also check the doner is official as submitted private enters can have errors - use as a guide and check where double - good aid

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the pointers.  Much appreciated.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
It's good that you purchased the death record, Robyn; at least now you won't waste credits and time following the wrong family line.

I hope you'll be able to find more info on Andrew's parents, etc. The key is to prove the relationship (as much as possible) each step of the way and not jump ahead.

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Robyn,

I've just been looking at some online trees, and now I'm wondering about your starting point for your research. Have you got Violet's birth, baptism, marriage or death records? Do any or all of those records list her parents' names as Andrew Ker(r) and Helen Renwick?

I hope I don't sound too pushy; I'd just hate to steer you in the right direction in one respect but ultimately in the wrong direction (if that makes sense).

(The online trees that I've seen aren't accurate, according to the death record you've just gotten.)

Regards,
Josephine

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 March 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine:  You are certainly not pushing.  Once I found that certificate, I suspected that I am going to have to change several 'ancestors', data and dates.  I hesitate to delete them until I have documentation proving my new input.  May I please send you a PM?

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 March 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine:  You are certainly not pushing.  Once I found that certificate, I suspected that I am going to have to change several 'ancestors', data and dates.  I hesitate to delete them until I have documentation proving my new input.  May I please send you a PM?

Yes, of course, feel free to PM me.