Author Topic: ANDREW KER/KERR  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: ANDREW KER/KERR
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Update: I believe I have found newspaper notices pertaining to the deaths of Violet (nee Kerr) and James Grahamslaw. I am in the process of sharing that info with Robyn, so she can hopefully order their death records to prove she's got the right folks.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm posting my transcripts of the newspaper articles I found, for the benefit of anyone researching this couple, with the caveat that I have not proven they pertain to the couple in question.

I've typed them up as they were printed, typos and spelling errors included. I've added italics to make it easier to read.

It's a very sad story.

Daily Columnist (Victoria, British Columbia, Canada)
March 9, 1880

Supposed Suicide at Portland of a Former Victorian.

About 10 o’clock Tuesday night the watchman of the O.S.N. Co.’s lower dock found a coat, vest and hat on one of the slips, and on searching the coat, found a memorandum book belonging to James Grahamslaw, a ship carpenter. On one of the pages was written with a lead pencil in a legible hand the following:

PORTLAND, Oregon, Feb. 27, 1880.

To whoos hands this book should fall into – Please let it be known that I have Parted from my wife and greaves me to destraction. I cant settle to work and I cant live without it. I have sold every thing I had and drank it all. I have made up my mind to comit a deed of self destruction which I hope the Lord will have mercy on my sool – for I am actually crazy.

JAMES GRAHAMSLAW.
Carpenter.

No blame on any one but myself.

Nothing is definitely known as to whether Grahamslaw committed suicide or not, but the facts of his clothes being found, the above letter threatening self-destruction, and his disappearance since Tuesday night, indicate that he  put his threats into execution. The probability is that he crawled under the door to the edge of the slip, and dropped silently into the water, the surface of which was only four feet below him. Had he jumped from the edge of the dock the splash caused by his fall would have attracted the attention of the watchman. The river in front of the dock was dragged yesterday, but no traces of the body could be found. It is thought that domestic trouble prompted the deed. The following letter was found in his memorandum book (it evidently had been copied and mailed,) and shows that his wife had left him on account of his inebrity:

SUNDAY, PORTLAND, Jan. 25, 1880.

DEAR VIOLET: – I sit down with an uneasy mind to write you a few lines asking forgiveness for my past unkindness to you, and I ask you as a favor to meet me at postoffice any night before Saturday, between 7 and 8 o’clock, as I have some money to give to you. I will be there every night after this. Hoping you will receive this in time, and I do assure you that I am willing to make reparation for what I have done, and change my ways to your satisfaction, for it grieves me to the hart to think we have lived so long together and then come to this at last. Believe me in earnest, Dear Violet, and I assure you, you will have no cause to complain in the future. I will Join any temperance society you life if you wish me for I am heartily tired of the way I am living and I think you can’t be happy in a strange house.

I now bid you good night hoping to meet you some night next week and I feel ashured everything will come right, as you have my hart and first love. I remain your loving husband.

JAS. GRAHAMSLAW.

I admit it has been all my fault rnd no one to blame but myself.

Grahamslaw was a good-natured, hard-working Scotchman somewhat addicted to drink and worked for the O.S.N. Co. at boat building. He has been before the police court several times and fined for drunkenness, but was not considered a rough character. – Oregonian.

The Oregon Daily Journal
May 12, 1910

DEATHS ... GRAHAMSHAW – Violet Grahamshaw, Good Samaritan hospital, May 10, age 72; old age.

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 March 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in the name Grahamslaw so I went looking for James on Scotlandspeople. He shows up in the 1851 census of Jedburgh, aged 18, and a cabinetmaker, born Jedburgh. He will be the James Grahamslaw born at Jedburgh in 1833 to Ruther Grahamslaw and his wife Elspeth Slater. Ruther was an innkeeper - so James would have been around strong drink from an early age! - and also one of the magistrates of Jedburgh.

Harry

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 March 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Quiet a few grahamslaw in roxburghshire - some of my family married into the ones around Kelso, morebattle, Jed area

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 March 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I had 4 x great-grandparents in Kelso called John Stewart, butcher, and Jean Grahamslaw. She seems to be the Jean born at Ednam in 1765 to John Grahamslaw and Elspeth Aitken.

Harry

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
It's funny -- I can't recall coming across the name Grahamslaw before I saw this query here on Rootschat, but I probably focus on the names I'm looking for and don't notice other names unless they strike me as being especially unusual.

The interesting thing to me is that there are at least five online trees that list this particular James Grahamslaw as dying circa 1872 in the Virgin Islands. If he actually committed suicide in 1880 in Portland, Oregon, I wonder where that other info originated. It might have started with one tree and then been copied by the others.

As mentioned in my previous post, I haven't proven that this is the correct couple. To do that, you'd have to purchase their death records and hope the info matches other known facts.

The lesson in all this surely would be: while you can rely on online trees for clues, you should never rely on them for facts until you've proven the details yourself.

Regards,
Josephine

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 March 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
It's one of those surnames that originated as a place-name. It's near Kelso. I've never been there, but it seems to be just a farm now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4887634c878386db:0xcf3e4e9c4a081871!2m19!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m13!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/Grahamslaw%2BKelso/@55.540027,-2.4405458,3a,75y,140.7h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sKl4-NFfjgqNbs3pu_ovJ6Q*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x0:0xcf3e4e9c4a081871!5sGrahamslaw+Kelso+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sKl4-NFfjgqNbs3pu_ovJ6Q&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqiPGYpvLSAhWFKMAKHXuIBGkQpx8IcjAO

Harry

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 March 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Harry

Your James rang a bell

Ruther and Elspeth had two James" one born 1823 but died 20 Jun 1825 the second born abt 1834 a cabinetmaker

Ruther & Elspeth & sons William 1819-1836 & James  are buried at Jedburgh Abbey

They had at least 8 kids

Ruther parents were William G & Elizabeth Rutherford his brother Thomas' son Robert marked my gr gr grandmother's sister Margaret Shiel

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 March 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree with you about the parentage of Ruther Grahamslaw. I don't know if his lot were related to the Ednam Grahamslaws or not - probably they were, far back in time.

Harry