Author Topic: William clark porter glasgow  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William clark porter glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 February 17 18:31 GMT (UK) »
How do people look for siblings if the birth is after the cut off date?
With difficulty, until you get to 1929 of course.

If you are actually in the SP centre you can look at any certificates you like. From 1974, the maiden name of the mother of the deceased is indexed in the in-house index, unless the birth was illegitimate. So if I am looking for siblings born between the 1911 census and 1928, I usually start with the death index.

Once I have found one or two children of the couple involved, I have their exact dates of birth, so I can look at their birth certificates, and note which district they were born in. Then search all births with that surname in that district to see if there were any more.

Sometimes you can be faced with a long list, but you can home in on ones who have likely-looking middle names - maybe named after grandparents or aunts or uncles.

It dosn't always work, of course. Sometimes a surname is just too common to go through all the births of that name. Sometimes people moved around a lot, so you can easily miss a birth if it's in a different district. This is especially so if they lived in one of the big cities which had lots of registration districts.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 February 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh my, sounds like a rather time consuming task.  I don't have any Scottish links so I wouldn't encounter that problem.

Obviously family knowledge would assist a great deal in sibling searches between the difficult dates.

No doubt all those with Scottish links will heave a sigh of relief when mother's maiden names are included for all years in the birth registration details.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 February 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
No doubt all those with Scottish links will heave a sigh of relief when mother's maiden names are included for all years in the birth registration details.
Yes indeed.

And I would heave a sigh of relief if they went back through the post-1911 England and Wales ones and added full middle names. There are so many events that I can't pin down because I have only a middle initial to go on :(  And of course you can't use English or Welsh death certificates to confirm things because they don't list the deceased's parents  :'(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 February 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Well you can do so for births up to 1916 on the GRO online search facility.  I don't know if the GRO plan to do more years at a later date.

I does make life a lot easier when you have all names provided.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire