Author Topic: Help with Edward Phillips Addison  (Read 5360 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Edward Phillips Addison
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, just running through all replies, noted these births/deaths any thoughts?

Birth Edward Phillips Haddy March qtr 1852 Bath 5c 731 mmn SELF
Death Edward Phillips Haddy March qtr 1852 Bath 5c 519 on GRO Index shown as 3 years could this possibly be 3 months, 3 weeks?
OK this couple also had a Frank Haddy 1848 and more earlier children so looks to be the John/Fanny in 1851 census Bath.

EDIT Also a death for a Florence Clara Haddy March qtr 1852 Bath 5c 517 GRO Index aged 1

Birth Florence Clara Haddy Sept qtr 1850 Bath v 11 page 27 mmn FURNER
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the long wait for replies,  my little girl came down with chickenpox and I haven't had time to follow up all the leads you kind people have given me.

I have had a look and I can't find a good match for Edward Phillips Haddy or Addison in the 1841 census.

The marriage to Harriet Fanny Annie Scott-Waring looks right and I cant find another Edward Phillips Haddy in the right time frame so I think its probably right. Which leaves the question of the parentage of Frances, Carlotta and Claude. Given the combination of baptism and birth recordings it seems that their mothers name is most likely Elizabeth Ingham. I guess what I need to do now is to see what I can find out about her.

I wonder what happened to the relationship between Edward and Harriet F A Scott-Waring. I had a quick look into Harriets family and they seem to have been quite well known and respected, her grandfather Major John Scott or John Scott-Waring was a well known figure and MP who mixed with the upper classes and royalty. They don't seem like a family that would have accepted Edward fathering children with another woman  :-\

In the 1851 Census Edward Phillips Addison shows as UNMARRIED. In the 1861 Census he shows as WIDOWED. But Harriet was clearly still alive given she died the year after he did.

All in all its a bit of a puzzle.

Hi all, just running through all replies, noted these births/deaths any thoughts?

Birth Edward Phillips Haddy March qtr 1852 Bath 5c 731 mmn SELF
Death Edward Phillips Haddy March qtr 1852 Bath 5c 519 on GRO Index shown as 3 years could this possibly be 3 months, 3 weeks?
OK this couple also had a Frank Haddy 1848 and more earlier children so looks to be the John/Fanny in 1851 census Bath.

EDIT Also a death for a Florence Clara Haddy March qtr 1852 Bath 5c 517 GRO Index aged 1

Birth Florence Clara Haddy Sept qtr 1850 Bath v 11 page 27 mmn FURNER

The only Haddy / Self marriage I can see is John Haddy to Fanny Self in Somerset on the 08 Feb 1832. The Brides Parish is shown as St James Bath. The 1851 census shows Johns birth place as Bath in 1809

The only Florence Haddy of the right age I can find in 1851 is living as a Nurse Child with the Jennings family at Richmond Place, Walcot, Bath, Somerset, England
The GRO shows her mmn as Furner. On doing a quick search there is a marriage in 1848 in Bath between William Haddy and Mary Ann Furner. The 1851 Census shows Williams year of birth as 1826.

Will have to do some more digging to see if there is any connection.

thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

Laura  :)
Greenock-Williamson,Guthrie,McIlhagga,Morris,McPherson
Lanarkshire-Reid,Bennett/Bennard,Stewart, Miller,Brown,Jamieson,McGregor,Davidson, Paterson,Anderson,Allister,Renwick,Shearer.
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Arbroath-Smith,Adam,Garland,Esplin,Davdison, Fender,Moncur
AyrshireRankin,McDickens,Bennard/Bennett,Carrick,Russell.
Ireland-Williamson,Galbraith,McIlhagga,Adrain. Bennard.
Fife-Brown,Williamson
Whitburn-Brown,Smart,Martin
Staffordshire-Abbiss,Oakley,Morris,Southall

Offline lpgbax

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 January 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Laura,
Edward Phillips Addison was my GGGGrandfather and I went to the V and A archives in London a couple of years ago to view his scrapbooks. There was a bit of biography written by one of his famous actress daughters. He was born in Devonport to strict baptist parents and he ran away to go on the stage. All my notes are under the roof and am just giving you what i remember of the top of my head but i am happy to go to my research papers and give you some more details. I would recommend you visit the archives and scrapbooks yourself as it was amazing reading and really beautiful victorian books full of goodies. Are you closely related to Edward too?
With very best wishes Lucy

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 January 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi may be posting all that is already known :-

Edward Phillps Haddy burial Ford Park Cemetery Walled Grave Section E No: 19 Row 14 address 6, Queen Street, Plymouth, St Peter 18th April 1874 aged 65
Keyboard86

So just to identify/confirm if this is his baptism:-

Edward Phillips Haddy born 24th February 1809 baptism 29th March 1809 Father Edward Mother Mary Ann at Stoke Damerel

Apologies see this has been located ages ago!
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nicky Lorch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 February 24 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone
I am also interested in this family. I am a beginner but have found it fascinating to find Carlotta in the family. I read that her mother died at Carlotta's birth. I think it was in the La Trobe magazine. La Trobeana
Journal of the C. J. La Trobe Society Inc.
Vol 15, No 2, July 2016
ISSN 1447‑4026
This has a whole section about Charles Albert and Carlotta.