Author Topic: Mitchell family Kincardineshire-George Mitchell abt 1718  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robert Mitchell circ 1809
    • View Profile
Mitchell family Kincardineshire-George Mitchell abt 1718
« on: Monday 20 February 17 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,,Thanks to previous hints I am now back on track..
I would like help on tracing George Mitchell born abt 1718 who married Elspet Johnstoun in 1736 at Fettercairn,Kincardine ( have marriage promise document)
They had to my knowledge 3 children, one who was robert mitchell born 1750 at Marykirk,Kincardine.

Robert married Janet Taylor  in 1776..
In turn one of their 5 children was Robert Mitchell born abt 1784 Married Helen Christison in 1807 Robert died in 1865 is one of them ( I have his death cert copy stating his parents)

One of their children was Robert Mitchell born 1809 who served in the "Life Guards" came to Tasmania (stating wanting to come to Hobart Town)
I have Robert's death cert copy (1880) but alas no mention of parents..
I do have army details  plus birth cert of his children and the signatures are fairly identical..

Sorry for the waffling, but i feel i need to write this to help paint a picture..cheers again Tony

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family Kincardineshire-George Mitchell abt 1718
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look at your family, but unfortunately they are a difficult lot and I have found very little.  For what's it worth and in case any of it is of interest, here goes …

George Mitchell and Elspet Johnstoun mar 1736 Fettercairn.  Three children bpt Marykirk, Mary 30/3/1746, William 14/8/1748 and Robert 12/10/1750.  Presumably missing bpts of other children for the years 1736-1746, but I can't find anything. 

Just to confuse things there are also George Mitchel and Margaret Jonstoun bpt dau Ann 13/12/1738 Marykirk and George Mitchel and Isab. Johnstoun bpt son George 6/9/1741 Marykirk.  So, potentially three separate George Mitchells bpt children at Marykirk at the same time?

Robert Mitchell mar Helen Christison 6/6/1807 Edzell and bpt  William 1808, Robert 1809, James 1811, Mary 1813, Charles 1815, David 1818, Elizabeth 1821, George 1823 and John 1825 all at Edzell.  I can't find any of the family on the Edzell 1841 census.

Helen was the dau of Hugh Christison and Mary Valentine mar 11/5/1782 Edzell.  Children William 4/5/1783, Helen 19/9/1784 and Sarah 18/3/1787 all Edzell.

There is a Robert Mitchell at Colthill, Edzell in the 1841 census, but he's not yours. 
Robert Mitchell 55 Ag Lab born outside Angus
Betty 50 born Angus
David 21 Linen Hand Loom Weaver born Angus
Alexander Clarke 73 Ag Lab born outside Angus

There are a lot of missing details - baptisms, deaths and burials, census entries, etc. Maybe someone with better access to records than me can help?

Valerie

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valerie..
Thank you so much for your effort..I have attached baptism details for Robert Mitchel birth 1750 at Marykirk...I have George and Elspet mariage dtails as well..
I am on Ancestry and aware of Robert and Helen from Edzell and their brood including Robert born 1809 who through prior discussions on Forfarshire established he was in the army till 1861.
Robert, married to Helen remarried after Helens passing 1826 to Betty Lamond 1830
The documents attached hopefully will help you with my query..
Thanks again Valerie

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Ah so, the Robert and Betty on the 1841 Edzell census are yours after all!  Do you know if Helen is buried at Marykirk or Edzell?

The snippet is wonderful.  I can't read what it says between Mitchell and son?  Also what does it say after Elspet Johnstoun?  Is it in Gosesly?  If so, any idea what that is?

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
G'Day Valerie..
Helen was buried at Edzell..
Snippet says..Robt Mitchel called son to George Mitchel and Elspe Johnstoun in Gosesly before these witnesses..
I have been in correspondence with another seeker and they think Gosesly could be a "Farm" name ?
I have attached George and Elspet marriage details for you...

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
The first person I asked at work this morning knew exactly where/what Gosesly is.  It is currently owned by DM Carnegie and used to be a dairy farm.  You can find it on google maps and see it on streetview.

Gossesslie Farm, Luthermuir, Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire AB30 1RL

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to confuse things there are also George Mitchel and Margaret Jonstoun bpt dau Ann 13/12/1738 Marykirk and George Mitchel and Isab. Johnstoun bpt son George 6/9/1741 Marykirk.  So, potentially three separate George Mitchells bpt children at Marykirk at the same time?
4/5/1783, Helen 19/9/1784 and Sarah 18/3/1787 all Edzell.

Elspet Johnstoun and Isab. Johnstoun may be the same person, as Elspet and Isabel/Isobel are sometimes used interchangeably.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all..
 Yes, Gossesslie Farm sounds about right, there is a Gosesly in Belgium so thought that was a bit far away  hehehehe..Attached another relating to Janet Taylor born 1749 listed as Boggindollah.
Parents John Taylor and Ann Low ( with Ann i was hoping it was Ann Christie from Marykirk as wife, my GG Grandfather named his daughter Ann Christie) but marriage cert says Fettercairn.

Yes, Now confused..Hehehehe......I have attached what I have with George and Isabel Children, all born at Maykirk..
With George born abt 1718 i am stuck..
Due to George Lyall born 1823 , my GG Grandfathers brother..He recited for publication "Lizzie Lindsay" and in his brief he relates that our family were from Nether Careston for generations , then not tacking up the tack late 1780 to 1800 ???
I have about three Georges born in the Tannadice area ....

Thanks for your help again
Tony

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
 "not tacking up the tack"  would be not takin' (ie taking) up the lease.

Boggindollah appears on modern maps as Boggindollo.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland