Author Topic: Mitchell family Kincardineshire-George Mitchell abt 1718  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family Kincardineshire-George Mitchell abt 1718
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 March 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Terrific info Isabel and wonderful family anecdotes Tony.  From this it would appear that the family were at Nether Careston, then for whatever reason didn't extend their lease and moved away 1780-1800. 

There is lots on the net about Nether Careston.  Plan of the farm of Nether Careston
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/nrs/RHP780/plan-farm-nether-careston/nrs

MI's including (34) and (35) Mitchells and (36) George Mitchells
http://www.ancestor.abel.co.uk/Angus/Careston.html
This website also has parish maps of Kincardineshire and Angus (Forfarshire)

Angus Archives have the rental of the estate of Careston 1724-1740 including 40 farms and their tenants.

Familysearch has the Careston registers batch C11277-2
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ageorge~%20%2Bsurname%3Amitchel*~%20%2Bbatch_number%3AC11277-2
In the 17th century Careston was in the parish of Brechin familysearch batch C11275-2 has three George Mitchells to choose from 4/7/1707 son of Geo and Margaret Bean, 25/1/1719 son of James and Margaret Nepper and 28/8/1720 son of Geo and Elizabeth Watt.

If you have the time and inclination it could be interesting building Careston Mitchell families and bringing them forwards.

Gossesslie Farm is in the parish of Marykirk hence George and Elspet Mitchell's children being bpt there.  I think Isabel H could well be right in that Elspet and Isab. are one and the same person.  This makes me wonder whether Margaret could possibly be a mistranscription for Elspet?  Could be worth getting the original entry in the register checked. 

I read that "Lizzie Lindsay" was popular in the 18th century.

Do you think this is where George Lyall got his name from?  "A grey granite stone commemorates the Rev. David Lyell and his wife the Hon. Catherine Arbuthnott." Also " The story goes that the farmer Mr. Mitchell had difficulty in persuading his men to work the machine for it was thought impious to use the "Devil's Wind."  http://junkinsfamilyassociation.wikidot.com/church-parish-careston-scotland

Have fun and hope these links work!

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robert Mitchell circ 1809
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family Kincardineshire-George Mitchell abt 1710
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again..
Still trying to track George Mitchell birth and Home town

Have a few suggested by Chat members..
This is what i have found
Ann Mitchel 1738 daughter born to George Mitchel of Marykirk parish and Margt Jonstoun of ( I believe Dublin ) ????
George's other children were born to
Isabel Johnstoun of Luthermuir son George 1741
Elspet Johnstoune of Gossesslie Farm..Mary 1746, William 1748 and Robert 1750
Could this be correct ??
My query is with attached document
I have traced a inhabited place called Dublin at Rosskeen based on a-z scotland places???
Please have a look at attachment
Thankyou

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks like "Dublin", but the way it is worded - "in Dublin" rather than "of Dublin" - makes me think it is probably the name of a farm. 

The closest name I can see on Ordnance Survey maps is Dubton, slightly North west of Marykirk. Could it be that? If the writer was filling out the register from scribbled notes, or in a hurry, maybe he made a mistake.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400914#zoom=5&lat=3467&lon=4215&layers=BT
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Isabel H..

Thank you,,, that does make sense..
Have found map..
So, George was at Dubton farm for Ann's birth ( Margt. Jonstoun )
 then moved to Luthermuir for George ( Isabel Johnstoun)
then Gossesslie farm for Mary, William and Robert (Elspet johnstoune)

Thanks

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again..
Just to add..
So would George from birth ( about 1710 ) to whatever age would he travel far to start work ?
Based on George lyall mitchell 1823 he states his forbears were at Nether Careston..???
So far I have George at Marykirk, Gossesslie 1740's...Robert, his son in the 1770's at Marykirk and then Robert 1800"s his son at Wood on Dalbog plus Colthill...George lyall 1823 is his son.
I have a George Mitchell born in Brechin to George and Margret Bean/Bain 1707 that fits

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Farm workers could, and often did, move around a lot from farm to farm, and not always in the same area. They obtained work at hiring fairs (feeing markets), held twice yearly. They might choose to look for work elsewhere, or if their employer did not ask them to stay on, they were obliged to move. 

"The Annals of Arbuthnott" gives an insight into the lives of farming folk in North east Scotland:
http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1375
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 April 17 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again..
Have found, with help  George Mitchel 1707 from Brechin..parents george and Margaret Bean/Bain????..
George would of walked to Fettercairn and there met and married Elspet Johnstoune 1736..
From there they went to Dubton, Marykirk where Ann was born 1738 to (Margt Jonstoun)
From there to Luthermuir, Marykirk where George was born 1741 to (Isabel Johnstoun)
From there to Gossesslie Muir, Marykirk where Mary 1746, William 1748 and Robert 1750 ( my direct ancestor) where born..
I have found register of deaths relating to George for Marykirk and asking the meaning of ..."Do"...
I know about M. C...mort cloth
attached is a snippet
Thanks again

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
It's the abbreviation for Ditto, i.e. same as item in row above, although in this case the abbreviation isn't actually any shorter than what it replaces!
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile