Author Topic: Colney Hatch asylum and the 1871 census  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colney Hatch asylum and the 1871 census
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Once again many thanks for the information. I cant have put the right words in the search box!

Regards

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 March 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi John

The death certificate for Sarah Ann Howlett, died 1895 Barnet district, arrived this morning and it is for my Sarah Ann.

Wife of a bookseller and her previous address is the same as that on the admission records.

The age given is definitely 54 years although she would have been 70 the following May.

Do you know if she would have been buried by the Asylum authorities or would the family have been contacted to take care of matters? There was a pm and the death was registered by the Acting Superintendent, her husband's name doesn't appear.

Many thanks

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 March 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
That's good news about the death certificate. But strange there was such a big discrepancy with Sarah's age.
Well, according to aim25, after 1873 Colney Hatch patients were buried at Great Northern Cemetery. Known as New Southgate Cemetery.
http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=11805&inst_id=118

I don't think their burial records are on deceased online, or any other website though.
It's a bit difficult to say whether the family might have arranged a burial for her elsewhere. Possibly seems unlikely, but you never know. Do you know where Sarah's husband was buried?
John

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 March 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I've tried Deceased on Line with no luck. I tried them first when I was trying to establish whether the 1895 Sarah was right or not.

As far as the wrong age is concerned, perhaps there were several deaths to register and whoever did the registering got confused.

I should imagine that unless the family themselves kept in contact, she would have been buried by the Asylum authorities as they probably didn't have any details for the family after thirty odd years.

As for George, I haven't found anything so far on him or his surviving children after the 1881 census. They are living 75 Teviot Street, Bromley St Leonard and he is a greengrocer. On the 1891 there is another family at that address and the head is a master greengrocer so a change of proprietor there.

Back to the search!