Author Topic: Knapperthan / Knappartknows, Gartly.  (Read 2041 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Knapperthan / Knappartknows, Gartly.
« on: Monday 20 February 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where Knapperthan/Knappartknows, Gartly, is please. Would it be the name of a farm or a place? I am looking at the  family of Robert Gartly (1779) and Ann Cran who lived here in 1841 and later in Corncattarach. Thank you.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Knapperthan / Knappartknows, Gartly.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/75473883

Don

Added...
On the 18th of November 1857, Mr Robert Gartly of Knapperknows sold 2 queys (heifers) at £11 10s each at the Huntly Market.  In 1859 he is noted at attending the annual dinner for his Grace’s tenantry.  And in 1862 “a” Robert Gartly of Corncatterach was elected to the Parochial Board in Gartly.

Not sure if this is him or a son but if your want these newspaper clippings send me a PM with your email.
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Or even http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.4129&lon=-2.8173&layers=5&b=1

If you click on the blue button in the menu box on the left and slide it to the left, you will see that Knappertknows no longer exists. Don's link doesn't show it, so it must have vanished between the publication of the first edition six-inch map around 1850 and the second edition, published in 1902.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ5035 and http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ5036 show what the vicinity looks like now.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - quite isolated then! Now I can place where the family lived which helps a lot.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Not sure I'd call it isolated. Neighbours half a mile away on both sides, and only a few miles from Huntly.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maqua

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 18 03:02 BST (UK) »
Greetings Erica
Robert Gartly and Ann Cran are my GGG Grandparents.
Their grandson, also Robert, came to Australia on The Star of India, arriving in Melbourne in June 1871. He worked with his uncle, George Gartly (brother of Robert) in Maryborough, Victoria.
His fiancee Mary Anne Strachan arrived in Australia on the Northumberland, arriving in April 1879.
After this 8 year engagement, they married in May 1879.
I am interested to establish any relationship between Robert and John Gartly, watchmaker in Aberdeen, who married Katharine Morison in Newhills, in 1794. I own a pocket watch made by John Gartly, and family legend says we are descended from him, but I can find no definitive proof.
Ross Gartly McDonald, Melbourne.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

Sorry I can't help you with your hunt for the Gartly family.

I am from the Cran family so only know of Robert Gartly through his marriage to Ann Cran.

Ann Cran's grandfather John Cran, is my 5x grandfather from his first wife Isobel Harper. Ann is descended from John Cran and his third wife Janet Reid through his son Peter Cran and wife Jean Milne.

The Cran family are very complicated! My line moved to Leeds, England, while most of the others remained in Scotland.

Good luck with your search.

Erica.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
ROBERT Gartly christened 21 October 1778 Garly to ALEX Gartly and Jean WATT
Siblings;
ALEXANDER  27 June 1762
JEAN 27 June 1764   
WILLIAM 12 August 1770
JANNET 30 April 1776

John was quite old when he married 1794.

Info from British Museum
John Gartly (clockmaker/watchmaker; British; Male; 1749 - 1827)
7 Huxter Row, Aberdeen 5 Exchequer Row, Aberdeen (lived)

There are 2 Johns born c 1750 Gartly;

23 February 1750 Gartly
father:   William Gairtly
mother:   Elspt. Touch

11 January 1751 Gartly   
father:   Alexr. Gairtly
mother:   Margret Bremner

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline maqua

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 August 18 02:37 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Trish.
Yes, I have Robert's details pretty well confirmed.
With John Gartly, the watchmaker, our family legend says we are descended from him, down to my mother - Jean Mary Gartly, b 1913, Melbourne, and her father, Charles Edward Gartly, b 1882, Melbourne.
What I cannot reconcile, is the facts as I currently know them, that John only had three daughters with his wife Katharine Morison - Barbara b 1796, Isobel(la) b 1797 and Catherine b 1801.
So I can see no male descendant who carried the name down to my mother.
I have had intermittent contact, some years ago, with a Gartly in Huntly, who claims to be descended from John watchmaker.
I have not been able to establish if John had an earlier marriage, which may have produced a son. There is no hint in John's will to that effect. I have also not been able to establish conclusively who John's parents were - the two couples you mention, plus John Gairtly and Jean Watt - their John b 1752 in Knappartknows.
The joys of Genealogy!
Ross