Author Topic: Incomers from Derbyshire to Middleton in Teesdale 1758  (Read 816 times)

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Incomers from Derbyshire to Middleton in Teesdale 1758
« on: Monday 20 February 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information  about the thirteen Derbyshire miners and their families who apparently moved to Teesdale to work in the Langdon Beck mine in 1758 and, more importantly, where in Derbyshire they actually came from.
My ancestor Samuel Redfearn(miner) born in 1726 in Matlock is supposedly one of these.  I am struggling to validate this connection to Matlock.

He and his wife Dorothy (N?) have children baptised in St Marys, Middleton in Teesdale from 1764 through to 1776.

Thanks
Sue

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Incomers from Derbyshire to Middleton in Teesdale 1758
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
http://www.andrewsgen.com/matlock/reg/bap/1705.htm

That site has Matlock baptism transcriptions. There is a Redfearn family, parents Thomas and Lidia who have a series of children baptised around that time, including a Samuel who was baptised 6th Jan 1727.
Info is sparse but maybe the parents/siblings names will help?

Boo

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Boo
Thank you.
Yes, I have trawled all through these records, I still have access to the FHL film.  I just can't find anything that verifies for sure that my Samuel in Teesdale is this Samuel in Matlock, like some handy record stating ".... Samuel from xxxxxx"

Apparently a Capt Wagstaff brought the 13 families, including a Thomas Staley and his sister Ann, from Derbyshire to Teesdale.   Ann Staley is also my Ancestor.....she married one Thomas Allinson in Teesdale in 1761.

Rgds
Sue

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »

Apparently a Capt Wagstaff brought the 13 families, including a Thomas Staley and his sister Ann, from Derbyshire to Teesdale.   Ann Staley is also my Ancestor.....she married one Thomas Allinson in Teesdale in 1761.

Might there be something about it in a local newspaper/other parish papers, perhaps? 

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
STG - Good idea -  thank you.
A search for Capt (Josia) Wagstaff has proved more fruitful - it unearthed a nice article in the Teesdale Mercury, Jan 1898 re the Derbyshire Miners...it suggests the miners came from the High Peak area of Derbyshire.