Author Topic: Irish Newspapers Archive, requesting a check of Irish Press 1941. Completed.  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I took out a 24 hour sub about two weeks ago and had a few hours of snipping and saving as much as possible, which was great but tiring so I'm only going through what I got now.

I had searched for "O'Rourke bomb Dublin" or words to that effect and got a hit for Mary O'Rourke in the Mater hospital after the North Strand bombing in May 1941 from the Irish Press.
What I hadn't noticed at the time is her two daughters Jennie and Lily are also listed as O'Rorke but I missed the name of the hospital they are in, the article was continued from page 1 and they are near the top of the piece I got, mother is further down the page.

If someone has a sub or will have in the near future I'd love to know what hospital the two girls were in, please. Poor Jennie was badly hurt that night.
The article was titled, BOMB CASUALTIES IN DUBLIN.
June 2 1941

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Newspapers Archive, requesting a check of Irish Press 1941
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Jennie and Lily O'Rorke, of 160 North Strand Road, were in Jervis Street Hospital, Dublin.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much bmcg66, that's great to have, neither of the girls married or had children so every little bit of information on them is lovely to pad out their story.

Offline lfarrell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much bmcg66, that's great to have, neither of the girls married or had children so every little bit of information on them is lovely to pad out their story.

They were cousins of my mother's. We used to visit them in their later home on Philipsburgh Ave. There was also an Aunt Maggie living with them in no 160, who was widowed and her son was Frank McDermott.
There is a couple of questions on the Oireachtas website regarding Aunt Janey's (as we called her) circumstances asked by Alfie Byrne.
She lost her eye and had a glass eye later which we as children found very exotic. She was originally a hairdresser I think.
Aunt Lily I remember had a very bad lisp. I can find photos I'm sure in my mum's.
They lost everything in the bombing and went up to live with my grandmother's family 7 Mayor Street Upper until they went to Philipsburgh Ave.
If there's anything else you'd like to know my mother and her sister are still alive and might remember.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Newspapers Archive, requesting a check of Irish Press 1941. Completed.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 23 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ifarrell12
I almost missed your post, I didn’t get a notification.
How exciting to hear from someone who knew them. The girls were my mother’s cousins through their father.
I know their father is buried in Kildare, in the O’Rourke plot and was told Jennie/ Janey is there as well, I was told their mother and Lilly are buried somewhere in Dublin but I’ve never found them or even know when they died.
I did find the Oireachtas report, it’s very sad reading.
The large number of Janes and variations they used Janey/ Jennie and Jean can get very confusing, my mother said there was seven Janes in the house at her father’s funeral. All named after their grandmother.
If you make a second post I can send you a private message.
Thank you for getting in touch.

Offline lfarrell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Newspapers Archive, requesting a check of Irish Press 1941. Completed.
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 01:07 BST (UK) »
Yes!
I'll ask mum where Lily is buried. Their mother was my great grandfather's sister. Now that you mention it Granny did have family in Kildare, somewhere around the Esker estate in Lucan.
Fell free to send me a private message if you wish!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 23 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Did you see this photo?
I’ve since learn the girl in the stripped dress is Jennie/ Janey

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=820533.msg6829233#msg6829233

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Lily, Elizabeth’s birth cert has just come online, number 213
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1923/01140/1476650.pdf
Perfect timing, 14 Feb 1923.