Author Topic: Freereg2 security certificate  (Read 3689 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Freereg2 security certificate
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 February 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
The error most probably started on the 1st February when the latest SSL certificate was issued by the look of it. I've informed them in case they're not aware of it.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trystan for your explanation and for notifying freereg.  It had only been happening for a few days and I thought as no one on here had mentioned it maybe it was just me.  :)

Deirdre I also still looked at the site but perhaps not as much.  I do tend to still use freereg and that was not affected.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG hasn't been updated for ages now though has it? Use FreeREG2 quite regularly.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I got the following response from them:

That's because Tristan is not using the official url which is https://www.freereg.org.uk/

There is no https://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/ url. There was an interim one used when we were transitioning to the new site called http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/

We have sent out messages to members saying please stop using the old url
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I haven't had any message about not using the '2' url  ::)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Trystan.    ;D

I wonder who they consider are their members  :-\   I certainly have not had a message either but will certainly use the other site in future.  The last thing I remember was that you could look at the original freereg and it told you that it was not being updated anymore and to use freereg2.  Perhaps they should have posted a message on freereg2 that it was no longer in use.  ::)

Still I am not complaining it is a valuable free site for those trying to do their family history.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder who they consider are their members

Members are transcribers, coordinators and managers.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I've suggested to them how to easily fix it for those that still visit the wrong address anyhow. I hope it's of some help to them and to the people who uses freereg.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I didn't even know there was a Freereg2  ::)

Interestingly, when I'm using Roots, the web address has a black dot at the beginning of it, so I clicked on it and it states: "Connection is not secure".  Clicking on "more" brings up a message "You connection to this site is not private, information you submit could be viewed by others (like passwords, messages, credit cards etc).  This web site does not supply ownership information". 

However, as no-one on here ever gives out their credit card numbers and passwords, I don't think we need to worry.  The whole idea of the site is that the information we submit can be viewed by others, as well as being able to be "googled" when people are searching for their ancestors.