Author Topic: Nailsworth, S.A.  (Read 2410 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nailsworth, S.A.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 February 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article195939282
The South Australian Gazette and Mining Journal
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cando.   I had sourced that advertisement which was a clue that there were two different California Streets.   The one I am interested in is definitely the one at Nailsworth.  Strange that the planners of this well laid-out city would use the same street name twice.   J

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 17 04:27 GMT (UK) »

Strange that the planners of this well laid-out city would use the same street name twice.

But Nailsworth is not in the City of Adelaide.  There are a number of California Streets, Avenue, Roads in the suburbs of Adelaide.

Depending the the number in California Street, it may be California Street, Collinswood.  I know the area well ;)  The south side of the street at the eastern end is in Collinswood.

Cando

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Judging from the 1837 map, the California Street at Nailsworth was part of the original plan even if it wasn't in the City of Adelaide.  On modern maps the Western end of California Street is Nailsworth and the Eastern end of it is Collinswood.  The memorial I have dated 1850 indicates the lot I am interested in is near the village of Nailsworth.  You are fortunate to know the area well - I am doing it remotely. I was red-herringed by the California Street in Adelaide proper and I still hope to locate an advertisement offering the lots at Nailsworth.    J

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Judging from the 1837 map, the California Street at Nailsworth was part of the original plan even if it wasn't in the City of Adelaide.  On modern maps the Western end of California Street is Nailsworth and the Eastern end of it is Collinswood.  The memorial I have dated 1850 indicates the lot I am interested in is near the village of Nailsworth.  You are fortunate to know the area well - I am doing it remotely. I was red-herringed by the California Street in Adelaide proper and I still hope to locate an advertisement offering the lots at Nailsworth.    J

I posted the advertisement offering the lots at Nailsworth - reply#9 :).  I later removed the actual advertisement as it was copied from TROVE and was concerned about copyright issues.  You stated you had found both the advertisements I had linked ::).

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article195939282
The South Australian Gazette and Mining Journal
3rd column.

Are you referring to the linked Colonel Lights' 1837 survey map....it doesn't extend north of North Adelaide.  You need to remember that the Colony of South Australia was only proclaimed on 28 Dec 1836. :)

I do all my research 'remotely' ;)  No libraries for hundreds of kilometres and just a very slow internet connection.

Cando

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando, I only saw one of the advertisements you posted.  Will have another look and get back to you.   J

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Went back through the thread and clicked on your link and YES it did take me to the Nailsworth advertisement which I hadn't sighted previously.  When I had clicked on the link in that post earlier it took me to the ad (29/8/1849) which is no longer there.  Not sure what happened but very pleased to have the Nailsworth advertisement and don't know why my own Trove search didn't bring it up.  It felt like I viewed hundreds of them (but it would have been a far lesser number). 

What is also interesting is an advertisement in the column on the far right with Geo. Rolfe being a money lender.  His name shows up in the 1850 conveyance (mentioned below) as well as the Nailsworth advertisement. 

The Nailsworth advertisement provides a benchmark date for follow-up.  The purchaser of the land (Richard BRUCE) arrived in S.A. in June 1849, worked for the Copper Co. at Burra and probably Balaklava, died and was buried at Port Wakefield in 1854.  He purchased the land at Nailsworth in August 1850. Have been trying to work out the movements of the family and what their financial position was.  This follows extensive research about their earlier history.  There are several mysteries still to be solved and the property transaction at Nailsworth may provide some clues. 

I am hoping to access the Copper Co. records at the S.A. State Library on a flying trip to S.A. in July. 

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 February 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Images of both advertisements were on the thread in reply#8 and reply#9.
You didn't need to click on any links to view them and I didn't post a link in reply#8!!. 
I removed both the advertisements due to possible copyright issues.  They were removed AFTER your reply#10 where you wrote seen them both. Job done ::)  I may be elderly but I'm not senile....yet.

From Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885. - Originally published in 1986. Biographical work containing approximately 100,000 entries of South Australians who were born or arrived in the colony during this period.  There are errors and omissions but a good resource for anyone researching their ancestors in SA.  I use it as a guide and check all information.  Both these entries appear to have been contributed.

BRUCE Richard parent C.
Born c1810 Paisley? RFW SCT and died 12 Jun 1854 Pt Wakefield SA
Arrived 1849 CHILDE HAROLD from Tasmania
0ccupation Soldier, Bullocky, Carter
Lived Burra, Mintaro, Pt Wakefield, Nailsworth
Religion Methodist
Married Maria nee PARKINSON Parent John
Born c1810 
Remarried J ABRAHAM
Children Margarate, Maria SIBLEY 1832-1911, Ruth THORN c1834-1919, Richard Hamilton* 1841-1932, Elizabeth Jane PHILLIPS 1844-1928.

BRUCE Richard Hamilton*  Parents Richard and Maria nee PARKINSON
Born 9 Mar 1841 Northampton NTH ENG  Died 15 Feb 1932 Burra SA
Arrived 1849 CHILDE HAROLD
Occupation Farmer.  Lived Waterloo, Burra
Religion Methodist
Married 1/3  31 Jul 1866 SA Jane nee HALLETT ParentsJoseph Died 1872 Hallett SA
Children Ruth Maria 1867-1868, Susannah Ruth TURLEY 1869-1950, Richard 1872-1872
Married 2/3  17 Aug 1876 Saddleworth SA Rachel nee STOCKS Parents James born 24 Dec1853 Died 1877
Children Maria 1877-1921
Married 3/3 9 Jul 1881 Burra SA Hannah Jane nee PRIOR Parent William Pedlar and Mary Ann nee SNOW
Born 23 Feb 1864 near Peterborough SA Died  4 Aug 1954 Burra SA
Children Hanah Hamilton 1882-1983, Ethel Jane 1883-, Elaine 1885-1969, Richard William 1889-1958, Elizabeth May 1892-1973, Albert James 1894-, Colin 1896-1958, Joseph Alfred 1899-1977.

Richard Hamilton's obituary which mentions his father, a teamster, being based at Pt Wakefield and carting copper from Burra.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article46642433

It is doubtful you would find any records relating to a teamster - there would have been hundreds of them.  Anyway I wish you well with your research.

Cheers
Cando

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 February 17 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cando,

Yes, had viewed those entries from the Biographical Index in the early days - they are reasonably accurate and, as you say, they appear to have been contributed.  Small inaccuracies are probably because of things poorly remembered and passed down over several generations but in essence those entries are a good source.

I located the first child, Margaret (left behind in Ireland). 

At the time of Richard's death in 1854 the Copper Co. was in a slump and there was a huge decrease in the number of employees. 

:)