Author Topic: Catherine Fitzpatrick (nee Duggan) Court or Police Records?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Fitzpatrick (nee Duggan) Court or Police Records?
« on: Tuesday 21 February 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Catherine Fitzpatrick was born in Ireland but most of her adult life was spent in Prescot, Lancashire; a 'colourful' life I might add.  She was in and out of court, apparently, over 60 times and I was wondering where I could find records about this? (that is, if they are still in existence).  She was born in 1831 in Ireland and died at Whiston Union Workhouse in April of 1884 in Prescot.  Her husband was Thomas Fitzpatrick.  I believe most of the trouble she got into was from the late 1860s onwards but there could have been earlier incidences.

Thank you

Borderslass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Fitzpatrick (nee Duggan) Court or Police Records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Aged 56 when she died

3 entries on criminal registers but no way of knowing if they refer to this Catherine as no ages or address shown.  The aerlier one may have been too soon as I don't know when she married

20.6.1851 - 4 mths imprisonment for larceny

4.7.1861 - 9mths imprisonment for receiving stolen property

3.1.872 - 15 calendar moths imprisonment plus 7 yrs police supervision - larceny from the person after previous conviction for felony
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I do have her death and burial record, thanks Carol.  She married in the December Quarter of 1846 in Prescot.  I do know that a bulk of her 'issues' were in connection with drink and disturbing the peace.
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
if she married dec qtr 1846 and was b 1831 she was 15 - or even possibly 14 when she wed - if she was born in Ireland I presume she came over with her parents and they gave permission for her marriage - do you know where she married ??...was it St Mary the Virgin ,Prescot where she is buried ?   I presume you have the record - but just in case you don't it states
Burial: 9 Apr 1884 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
 Catherine Fitzpatrick -
     Abode: Whiston Union
     Notes: R. C.
     Register: Burials 1880 - 1886, Page 141, Entry 1124
     Source: LDS Film 1657597

so this would mean she was born in 1825 - not 1831....can I ask where you got her birth year from please?..?  if she was b 1825 she would have been 20 / 21 when she married in 1846 - this sounds more feasible than 14/15 at her marriage .
I am not trying to confuse the issue - only to point out that the 1831 birth you have for Catherine Duggan may be the wrong one  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
in every census except 1881 Catherine states b 1828 Roscommon,Ireland and in 1871 census she has a 1 yr old neice with her Catherine Dugan - spelt with only one  g .
her occupation is a Hawker
it looks like she is in Liverpool in 1881 with 2 of her sons and her daughter who is now married to a Quinn - in this census she gives her birth year as 1825 and is their Housekeeper .
so presumably she went in Whiston Union between 1881 - 1884.
I suspect she may not have been as naughty as you believe because Iris Hawkers were picked on by the Police and probably many of her so called Larceny offences were set up ...in those days Police Officers HAD TO make 20 arrests a week - (or officially - expected to make 20 arrests a week )
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Garstonite, your efforts are much appreciated.  Firstly, I apologise as I incorrectly keyed in Catherine Duggan/Fitzpatrick's birth year, it was in fact 1828.  I already know and have the information that you have found.  I had mentioned her death in 1884 and I have the certificate and I also have the certificate for her Roman Catholic marriage to Thomas Fitzpatrick; she was 18 when she married. 
As for her being 'naughty', I am correct; it isn't an assumption.  She had been in and out of court over sixty times and was well known in the Prescot Petty Sessions court system; I do have evidence to support this. 
This leads me back to my original question...where would I be able to get access to court records or the Prescot Petty Court Sessions records from the time Catherine Fitzpatrick was alive as I would like to find further information if possible?

Thank you again,

Borderslass   :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 17 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Borderlass
a member named Stephen Nulty is our best informed for Prescot Records - I have sent Stephen a PM  :)

Offline frian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 February 17 09:06 GMT (UK) »
In my experience the local newspapers are pretty good at reporting the local Police Court (aka Petty Sessions) as well as Quarter Sessions and the Assizes.  The official court records (if they survive - try the local Record Office / Archives) usually only contain details of the verdicts and the witness statements, but the newspaper often includes the court banter and the magistrates' comments and reasons for heavy / light sentencing. 
You can be both entertained and shocked at the same time!!
frian