Author Topic: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905  (Read 8860 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905
« Reply #36 on: Friday 24 February 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I purchased one death certificate from Manitoba and it certainly didn't take three months.  Less than one month which included the mailing time both ways.  This wasn't anyone in my husband's direct line but pursuing proof of family of GGuncle.  The cost made it an easy decision.

I had looked at the online search form for Manitoba Genealogy and it had 69 hits for the name George Thompson.  Did he mean specifically your George Thompson wasn't found in RM MacDonald cemeteries.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 24 February 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
http://sabnewspapers.usask.ca/islandora/object/sab:newpaper

Database of some newspapers in Saskatchewan.  The newspapers were very slow loading I didn't search to see if any might be helpful in your family.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 24 February 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cosmac,

That is a good question. He would not say. Just that there is no George Thompson being buried in MB? That is how I interpreted it.

I would have to donate $10 to the organisation as I feel he is putting me on a guilt trip. I think they are strapped for money?

That's good that the death certificate does not take 3 months! I will keep you posted on the death record. I do hope it will tell us where he is buried if it is anything like American death certificate.

Is it possible that he died in ND when working with his son there?

Thank you for your message.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 24 February 17 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cosmac,

I think you would enjoy my only finding from a newspaper...please see the article on George Thompson's worries about his daughter is not coming....on 15 July 1903 in Manibota Free Press, Winnipeg newspaper.
He was staying with his relatives in Blythlleld.

Thanks,

Tees

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 24 February 17 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Good find.  Lovely to have newspaper articles.  Adds flavour to the family story.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 24 February 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cosmac and MaureeninNY,

I just shared your findings on Shipping records and my only newspaper article I found last night with a Thompson descendant.

Interestingly, she sent me several pages out of the book similar to the book you found on Joseph Thompson on her great-grandmother Sarah Ann Thompson. I see why she thought Sarah Ann arrived with her mother because of this story in the book.

That is why I decided to share with her early---I was hoping to get all the documents together first then send onto her.

Tomorrow I will send that book pages Cosmac so kindly found for me onto her. Will highlight important information on what happened to George Thompson even if it is only few sentences.

Another interesting development is that when I read the attached pages from my Thompson descendant--I saw the photograph, the same one, that is on several trees on Ancestry. To my surprise, they are not who they are supposed to be. They are from Calvert side of her family! I asked her to verify that photograph again because a cousin did verify that they are from my side of family???

This is a good reason that everyone should label the photos for the future generations. I am fortunate that I did when my elderly relatives were still alive and they stated who's who in the photos. I have a family photograph no one could identify---only one photo. My Dad insisted that it is our relative but could not remember who he was!! I did suggest that it was his uncle---he said no. This uncle of his died very young. I think it is a good explanation since no one has met him in person or saw him personally as he died before all of my aunts and uncles including my Dad were born.

I am stuck with this photograph and I think he is a lovely gentleman!!

Is it possible for me to access original Census records from Canada? Think it would be nice to have actual records instead of transcriptions?

Again, thank you and MaureeninNY for all the help given in this matter.

Have a lovely weekend,

Tees

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 24 February 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful finds,Tees.

Here's the access to Canadian census records-except 1921:
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Good luck!

Maureen

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 26 February 17 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaureeninNY,

Thank you for the link. I was able to locate Margaret Thompson with her son and "niece" in that 1906 Census entry you found. The census was taken in June 1906--that makes sense now--she might have became a widow in 1906 between January and June.

I saw Jane (Jennie) Ann's birth certificate on the tree and the father's name was blank but her mother is Margaret Storey. But I am puzzled as to why she would called her her niece on 1906 Census??? I am certain George Thompson is her father because her birth date was too close to his first wife's death (if my memory serves me correctly, will confirm this tomorrow).

That record Cosmac found on the index has to be him. I will wait for it to arrive to see if we are right.

Cosmac, does early death records from MB note the burial information?

Sadly, I am unable to trace Margaret Thompson in 1911 and 1916. I will try and find her in 1921 on Ancestry sometimes tomorrow.

I think I had found her sons but I have to reread the pages Cosmac found for me on Joseph and not sure 100% about George yet.

The census MaureeninNY found on Calvert Family--I managed to find it without any issue.

This "disappearance" of Margaret Thompson made me wondering if she might have gone back to England to visit her family? Same with her "daughter" Jane (Jennie) Ann Storey/Thompson.

What do you think?

Tomorrow I will have to go through my Thompson file to see which documents I am going to share with the descendant.

I am just pleased that the original census clearly stated that it was taken in June 1906 which made a lot of sense now that her husband had passed before the census was taken since the indexes showed he died in 1906 (but we do not know for sure yet).

I will keep you the progress on this "case". I am mostly interested in George Thompson as he is my direct ancestor. But, it is very interesting to see where his children ended up in Canada and so on.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 26 February 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »
PS On 1906 Census page for Margaret Thompson, I found another daughter few lines down as a Mattie Thompson and emigrated in 1903. Think this is Martha?