Author Topic: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905  (Read 8835 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Possibility for George's arrival into Canada
George Thompson ticket #2207 departing Liverpool arriving Montreal 05 Jun 1903 on the Canada.  Age shown as 56, from Yorkshire, no arrival destination entered.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating tidbit! It could be him. Didn't you see any Thompson travelling with him?
According to a Thompson descendant, his wife travelled with his daughter Sarah Anne (I am not sure if she is married at this point or not).
You were big help. I am hopeful that the death certificate will answer our question. I am working on the angle that he might had died in England prior to his wife and daughter coming to Canada. Surprised you find the information that conflicted with the information Thompson descendant stated. Very interesting!! Where is Sarah Anne? I will ask the descendant if she was already married at the time of emigration or not?

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I did see a Sarah Thompson travelling with an older Hannah Thompson both going to Manitoba.  I would have to refind that.
Lots of my oral history had grains of truth that made it easy to begin looking but their "facts" were not supported.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I would have to agree with you about the oral history. I did enquire with the Vital Statistics in Manitoba and they would not confirm whether the death record is my ancestor's or not. I will send the form in and I am more than confident that you are spot on.
I am surprised that Margaret and the children would emigrate by themselves. Then, George Thompson emigrated later on.
That means Margaret and the children might have moved to SASK in 1906 shortly after George Thompson passed away. That means they did live in Manitoba for a bit more than two years since it took a long time to travel from the port to the western Canada via railway.
I shall keep you posted on the death certificate. I re-read SASK's vital statistic agency---it turned out that their death indexes only stop at 1917 and they are going to add more. That's why we could not verify whether Margaret died in 1935 or not.
How exciting that they emigrated to Canada.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
George went in June 1903 and family followed in Dec 1903.  That seemed to be the usual practice.

Don't hold your breath on updates to Saskatchewan's vital statistics.  I don't think they have added anything in years.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for wonderful information you found so far. I really appreciate it!! Suddenly, all of the pieces falling into the place.
I messaged a Thompson descendant and told her I would never thought about the emigration to Canada as it simply does not occur to me. Now I understand how dangerous it is to assume!
Will keep you posted on the death record.
May I ask you where you find these information besides that lovely book?
I am just pleased that I could find George Thompson after all. Happy that my brick wall has been crumbled since this Monday.
I will have to focus on two remaining brick walls on other branches.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I think (maybe :)) that Sarah married a Frank CALVERT.

I kept looking at this census record and I'm fairly sure it's Margaret with son George:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KHJJ-8V1
Two for Frank and Sarah:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27XV-V8J
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMP6-C36
cosmac-if you look at the 1921 census with Margaret on it-I think there's a CLEAL family on the same page-Jane Ann Stor*y CLEAL?

Sorry-my computer's in a bit of a mood today. Keeps crashing. >:(

Maureen

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
MaureeninNY,

Yep, that is her---her great-granddaughter was the one whom I was talking with lately. :)

She married in Canada? But the census stated otherwise....they had a son who was born in England??? That means they were married in England.

That might be her with Hannah Thompson travelling to Canada as stated by Cosmac.

Will check the links.

Bless you for finding these details!

Gratefully yours,

Tees

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
No-sorry-should have said Sarah appears to have married Frank CALVERT Jun Qtr 1901 Stockton-so just before they arrived in Canada.

I did wonder if Jenny CALVERT was the Jennie THOMPSON on the 1901 census living with George and family. Sarah's daughter-not theirs possibly.

Maureen