Author Topic: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905  (Read 8839 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 February 17 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Cosmac,

Yes, you are right it was a good catch and that MaureeninNY has good eyes!

Now it just confirmed the information despite wrong year and wrong parent that Sarah Anne travelled with!

I am so happy that we could confirm the tree is "correct" and is related to us!

I posted the application form to the Vital Statistics Agency this evening. Just two minutes before they closed for the day!

I think I will wait less than three weeks before I get it in the post. I will share with you since both of you were high help to me!

By the way, I am wondering if Margaret is buried in SASK or in Manibota with her husband?  Is it possible for us to check the cemeteries? Perhaps we would be lucky if the church would have some kind of burial records?

What do you think? I have no idea how things were done back then?

Thanks for all the help you have given me! I just am thrilled to break a brick wall!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Cosmac, that is a brilliant finding!

So, it might mean my George Thompson might have died in December 1905 but was registered in January 1906?

I think there is a good chance he was buried in Manitoba. Which cemetery would that be in Sanford?

I have no idea that the oral history is correct....until you prove it.

We shall see when I get the death certificate.

Thanks for the finding!!!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there are many cemeteries online in Manitoba.  The Manitoba genealogy society probably has some references.  Findagrave is getting more information online.

George William Thompson born 1892 Yarm served in WWI.  Link to his attestation papers.  This site is slowly digitizing and placing online the entire service file.  Think they are up to M's now.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I shall contact the genealogy society in MB.

Which website are we talking about in pertaining to his attestation papers?

Now I see why the tree got his name mixed up...it is his son who has a middle name of William!  That was his grandfather's name.

Many thanks for your help!!!! I will share any findings with you and MaureeninNY.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 February 17 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this link! Lovely seeing his signature!
Surprised they would allow short men in the army! I read somewhere that in late stage of the First World War, they started accepting short men due to the "shortage" of available tall men.
Surprised he is Methodist! Thought the family is Anglican.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 February 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cosmac,

Wee update: I have written to Manitoba Genealogical Society today. I got a reply from them a few hours later.

The gentleman there found the same record as you did from the indexes. He said it will take up to 3 months to process an order!  :o :o That probably is why the fee is so cheap?

He would not assist me any further unless I take up on a genealogical research for CAD$75 on the family. I explained to him that the family had left Manitoba to be with their son/brother in SASK after the father passed on.

I asked if I could look up on their cemeteries transcription. They have transcriptions on most cemeteries including Sanford. Or to purchase it, 26 pages long, for about CAD$7.50. I am awaiting for them to reply.

I did tell them that it is a bit rude to push $75 fee on me without asking few questions. It is nice if all the family is still in Manitoba but not in my case.

I am waiting for other society to contact me.

Hopefully, we will get a confirmation somehow. I think it is very likely George died in Sanford despite his incorrect age on that record. The gentleman there said the registration will tell us an exact date of his death despite it being indexed for 1906. In other words, it is not always the case it is in the same year.

Let's hope but 3 months' wait. I feel bad for both of you and me. I should have faxed if I had known that it will be 3 months' wait.

Kind regards,

Tees

PS I am waiting for a Thompson descendant to e-mail me the book where she got her information about her great-grandmother. Will share any information with you as a thank-you for all the help given me.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cosmac,

I got another e-mail from same gentleman saying that there is no record of George Thompson being buried in Manitoba???

He said he does have some information on the family but wanted CAD$75.

That's my latest update.

Regards,

Tees