Author Topic: Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Katiebcan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"
« on: Tuesday 21 February 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm still searching, without much luck I'm sorry to say, for more information on my late father, Alexander Reid McKay born February 5, 1923 in Glasgow.  I did find something--Fife School Records, "Leaving Certificate, Sat July 9, 1938 which would have made him 15 which is when I understand students usually finish school in Scotland. (I'm from Canada). Would anyone be able to access this record and tell me if there is any additional information, such as school this Alexander McKay graduated from. Of course I'm assuming "Leaving Certificate" means graduation. He told us he grew up in Glasgow, Perth, Dundee. I've written schools in Perth and found registration for his adopted brothers (possibly half-brothers) but nothing for him. We have learned since his death that he fabricated a lot of his life story which makes this search very difficult. If anyone has access to this newspaper record and could see if there is any other information listed, my family would be very grateful for your help.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Well the leaving certificate announcement for his class is published in the Fife Free Press & Kirkcaldy Guardian on Saturday, July 9, 1938 and that an Alexander McKay attended Buckhaven but how positive are you this is your man considering it is such a common name?

If you don't have this clipping send me a PM with your email and a copy will be on its way.

And, if you post his parents and his father's occupation as well as his siblings it might help in tracking his movements.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
At that time the school leaving age was 14. If you had a satisfactory standard of education and a job to go to, you could apply for an exemption, which would allow you to leave at 13 1/2.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Alexander McKay attended Buckhaven but how positive are you this is your man considering it is such a common name?

I would ask the same especially on the basis "He told us he grew up in Glasgow, Perth, Dundee" with no mention of Fife (a County separate from the places he named) where he finished his schooling?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Katiebcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you all for your interest. We have a birth certificate showing that our Dad was born Alexander Reid McKay on Feb 3, 1923 on Albert Street, Glasgow to a Margaret McKay, tea room waitress. No further information on the certificate. He came to live with Robert Cochrane Harvey and Margaret Ann Burke Harvey in Glasgow sometime around 1930--we knew them to be our grandparents.  They had two younger sons, our uncles James Harvey and Richard Harvey. Our dad immigrated with his "parents" to Canada in 1948--his brothers had come earlier to go to university. My grandfather died in Canada in 1955, and my grandmother and uncles returned to Scotland in their later years and all died there. My Dad was very close with his maternal aunt, Elizabeth Burke--who he listed as his next of kin on his RAF information, and her older brother Willy Burke. They remained in Scotland their entire lives. We suspect either his Aunt Lizzy or his "adopted" mother, Margaret Ann Burke Harvey, may have been his birth mother. Coincidentally like the Margaret McKay shown on his birth certificate, both our Great Aunt Lizzy and grandmother, Margaret McKay were tearoom waitresses. They worked at Lockhart's tearoom. We have had no luck finding the Margaret McKay of his birth certificate. Our grandfather Robert Cochrane Harvey had three other brothers, who lived in Glasgow and one of those brothers Hugh Harvey, a grocer in Glasgow, had three or four daughters. His other uncles and his Aunt Elizabeth had no children, nor did his brothers. So we are a very small family, just my sister and I left. It seems much of what he told us about his life in Scotland was not true, such as the schools he attended--we have checked with those two schools and there was no one registered by that name. Our grandfather was a theatre manager who travelled around Scotland opening new theatres, hence the possibility that Alexander Mckay who graduated from a school in Fife in 1938 was our Dad. We would love to unravel this mystery, mainly how he came to live with the Harvey's around 1930 and where he was before that. I will add one more thing--although he came over to Canada using his birth name, it seems he changed his name immediately on arriving here with his parents and from that day forward he was known by a different name, Kaye Burke Harvey.  I'm happy to supply any other information and thank everyone for their interest and help.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
What no. in Albert Street, Glasgow was Alexander Reid McKay born & is it listed under Townhead or Govan or does it just say Glasgow?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Valuation Rolls have a list of MacKays although the variant is nothing to worry about.

Ref. No. VR010201368

Seems to be a tenement block although it must be a mile high & a mile wide with the differences in no's  ???

MACKAY JOHN
Tenant
HOUSE 138 ALBERT STREET TOWNHEAD, GLASGOW

MACKAY ANGUS
Tenant
HOUSE 157 ALBERT STREET TOWNHEAD

MACKAY JOHN E
Tenant
HOUSE 239 ALBERT STREET TOWNHEAD

MACKAY ELIZABETH MRS
Tenant
HOUSE 107 ALBERT STREET TOWNHEAD

MACKAY JOHN
Tenant
HOUSE 154 ALBERT STREET TOWNHEAD

May be worth a look at 1930 to see what's there & whether you find the Harvey's & MacKays near to each other?

I haven't looked at the records, only the index.

Annie

Offline Katiebcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 March 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
The address in Glasgow shown on his birth certificate was 73 Albert Street.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katie,

Does it give an area in Glasgow, should be along the top line on the cert. before Burgh of Glasgow if that's what's on it?

Annie