Author Topic: Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 March 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
My thought too Ruskie,

"Or does it relate to McKay", I would say so, clever idea!

Yes, a previous marriage could be likely?

I thought though, that a married/widowed woman could register the birth with father's name, even though he was deceased but not 100% on that, don't think I've had one myself (Scotland)?

I don't have time to search SP for a likely previous marriage, got to go out sadly!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 March 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the baby of a married woman would be given her husband's surname even if he was dead or if the child was not his (unless the woman admitted otherwise). I thought there may have been a mix up or misunderstanding when registering the birth which led to the father's name being omitted. :-\

I think this is one of the least likely scenarios but the Robert/Margaret marriage certificate should clear that up (unless fibs were told  ;)).

I think some searching and certificate purchasing is required for some documented proof, as my imagination is running overtime and getting Katie nowhere,  :P  ;D

Offline Katiebcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"let
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Thank you for all the responses, ideas, and questions. Here's what else I can tell you in response to those questions posed--tried to keep it brief: 

Our Dad Alexander Reid McKay was born 07/02/1923, three years before the marriage of our grandfather, Robert Cochrane Harvey and Margaret Harvey, (04/05/1926)--that was an irregular" marriage--she was shown as Spinster--so not married previously to someone who might have been Alexander's Dad as someone speculated. They gave birth to their son James when they were living at 52 Main St, Thornliebank on 10/11/26 and son Richard 11/06/1930--same address. By then Robert was managing Alhambra Theatre in Perth and living in the White Horse Hotel there. It appears that sometime in the early 1930s our Dad, Alexander, came to live with them.  Our Uncle James told a friend that our Dad was dropped off by a strange lady at their house when James and Richard were young--not yet in school--that is how we've come to suspect our Dad was seven or eight at the time he came to live with them.

In 1934 Robert was appointed Manager of Kings Theatre in Dundee and the family were living there by then as my Uncles attended Craigie Primary school and Morgan Academy (from 1934-1937). There was no record of our Dad Alexander attending either of those schools. We know the family was in Inverness at some point as well as our Grandfather Robert was later appointed northern Supervisor for Caledonian Associated Cinemas. We wonder if maybe our Dad, Alexander, may have stayed in Glasgow with Aunt Lizzy (Elizabeth Burke) as he commented that he used to wait after school in the tearoom where she worked (she was a cook not a waitress as I earlier suggested), and then would walk home with her.

In 1945 we know Aunt Elizabeth Burke and Uncle Willy Burke both lived at 22 Summerlea Road, Thirnliebank--they were brother and sister and neither ever married.

One other question posed was where the name Kaye Burke Harvey came from--I asked our Dad that when I was little and he told me that his mother gave him that name because she liked it--we now assume it came from McKay. And Burke was her maiden name. Kaye was pronounced Kye.

Hope this additional detail helps. And thanks again for all your suggestions and questions. So very much appreciated.

I can supply additional information on the Burkes and Harvey's if it would be helpful. Our grandfather had four brothers, not three as I said earlier. And Margaret had an older brother, Thomas, as well as Elizabeth and William.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Katie for further info.

Can you give us the names of Margaret's parents please & what Margaret's occupation was when she married & who were the witnesses?

Does Alexander's birth with Margaret MacKay's name, actually say Mother or other (meaning another relationship such as aunt)?

So, it looks as though Alexander was schooled in Glasgow, not Fife?

I used to frequent The White Horse in my youth!

I had no idea that Perth Theatre was previously named Alhambra Theatre!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 March 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Katie, when I read your last post my thought was that Alexander McKay may have simply been adopted by the Harveys.

If both Margarets and Lizzie worked at the tea rooms, they probably knew each other. Margaret McKay had a baby out of wedlock and either died or couldn't look after him, so Margaret Harvey took him on. Just another of my wild theories.

I would look for both Margarets in the1911 census.
I would look for a death for Margaret McKay between 1923 and 1930.
I would look for a marriage for Margaret McKay between 1923 and 1930 in case her new husband did not want the child, or in case they could not look after him.

Some further digging might find a Mr Reid either working at the same place, or living near Margaret McKay.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 March 17 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Katie,

Can you confirm the 'Craigie' in your last post as to whether Perth or Dundee please?

I know Craigie in Perth but I also know there was a 'Craigie' in Dundee.

Having read your post with the name 'Craigie' made me wonder?

You may want to check out this post (which I initiated) & get in touch with the 'McKay' connection on there.....may be a connection if it was Craigie in Perth?

You didn't say where the family lived/went to school in Perth apart from your g/father being at the White Horse Hotel...did they live there when the children were at school in Perth?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=747415.0

Annie

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 March 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

For Annie

You new the Alhambra as the Odeon in Kinoull street white horse just round the corner in North William street I think it is.

Yours Aye
Brucel

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 March 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes Bruce,

I remember the 'Saturday Club" & also the entrance on West Mill Street (road running from North Methven St. to Kinnoull St).
Same Street as Andy Wingates place (if you remember it)?
There used to be toilets at the Kinnoull St. end on the right side.
Takes me back a long time  ;D

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotland/perth/odeon.html

Annie

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie
The one on west mill street/ Murray street was the play house.(still there)
Next door was Perth foundry now the foundry bar on the other side was the scrap merchant but I thought that was Powrie's Andy Windgates was up where Morrison's supermarket and the St. Catherine especially retail park is.

Next to the Odeon in kinnoull street  on one side nearest atholl street was Gloags whiskey bond on the other side was the oasis cafe.

Yours Aye
BruceL