Author Topic: Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Fife School Records "Leaving Certificate"
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 March 17 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katie,

You may not want to answer this but...

What yrs were the younger siblings born, when were they in Perth & what School did they attend?

As Alexander R was older, he may have been at a different school i.e. High School while the brothers/half brother/step-brothers were at Primary School?

I may be able to help with what would have been the nearest High School to which ever Primary School the younger ones attended?

If you have an Address that may also help as there were separate Catholic & Protestant schools too in different areas?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 March 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you recall any specific things, names of places mentioned i.e. landmarks in any of the areas he lived?

I know there were theatres in both Perth & Dundee but I have no knowledge of any near Buckhaven in Fife, not to say there wasn't.
The nearest 'main' towns to there would have been Leven & Kirkcaldy but maybe someone with more knowledge of that area can verify whether there was/wasn't a theatre around that area?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 March 17 02:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I can be of any real help but I have a couple of questions/wild theories:

Since the mother's name on Alexander's b/c was Margaret, and his 'adopted' mother's name was Margaret, and both Margaret's were Waitresses, I am wondering if they may be one and the same.

Do you have the marriage certificate of Robert and Margaret Burke? Did they marry after the birth of Alexander?

I am wondering if McKay was the surname of Alexander's biological father, and there was a mix up when Alexander's birth was registered, and Margaret's surname should have been written as Burke rather than McKay? It may be when the family moved to Canada Alexander decided to revert to his real birth name as he was starting a new life, or perhaps his McKay father had died so he felt able to revert to his 'proper' surname?

Just a theory. I don't know if or how this could be checked or backed up with documentation.

Added: It might be worth checking the birth certificates of Alexander's siblings too. Just rethinking. Were his siblings older, hence the marriage of Robert and Margaret taking place prior to Alexander's birth? Maybe that is my theory gone wrong .... :-\

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 March 17 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Good theories Ruskie  ;)

Check Reply #4 though...

"He came to live with Robert Cochrane Harvey and Margaret Ann Burke Harvey in Glasgow sometime around 1930--we knew them to be our grandparents.  They had two younger sons, our uncles James Harvey and Richard Harvey"

This is what makes me wonder if in fact Alexander did go to school in Perth, was he at High School while they were at Primary School?

It would be interesting to hear of any landmark places which could be positively identified as 'truth' given a lot of Alexander's stories were fabricated.
When it comes to landmarks, it's difficult to describe something unless you've actually seen it i.e. this would be a 'tell tale' of whether he was telling at least some truth?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 March 17 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to ask what the maiden name of Margaret & Lizzie's mum was & what was the forename of their father?

As Alexander was illegitimate, Reid would possibly be an indication of his father's surname if it isn't the mother's maiden name?

Annie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 March 17 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Annie, Do you think it would be wise for Katie to purchase all the certificates related to this family? (I note you are asking about maiden names etc). I did wonder if knowing what each birth, marriage and death certificates says, might reveal some extra clues.

I wonder where the information about Alexander coming to live with Robert and Margaret in 1930 came from? Where was Alexander living between his birth in 1923 and 1930? If his mother was Margaret McKay, might she have died and Alexander was adopted (formally or informally) by Robert and Margaret? Unsure of dates of formal adoption in Scotland, but might it be worth checking. Also, perhaps looking a death for Margaret McKay?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 March 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie,

Yes, the marriage for Robert and Margaret & their birth certs. could throw up a clue or 2 but on the other hand they may not but even if it's to eliminate Alexander's forename & middle name as a family name which may in turn be the father's forename & surname although your theory on an error with McKay on the birth cert. instead of Burke may be correct too?

I also think your idea of looking for a death for a Margaret M(a)cKay is worth a search around that time (from birth until 1930)

A wee bit more rummaging needed I think?

Likewise, it would be interesting to know where Alexander was from birth until 1930?

Such a pity we don't have later census records like other countries.

I do like his chosen name of Kaye though.....

Katie, was it pronounced as 'Ky' as in sky?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 March 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate of Robert and Margaret Burke? Did they marry after the birth of Alexander?

Yes Ruskie....3 years later, wonder what her occupation was on marriage?

HARVEY ROBERT COCHRANE to BURKE MARGARET ANNIE
644/12 111
Hillhead

Looks like the household in 1930?

HARVEY ROBERT C
11 STRATHCLYDE STREET, GLASGOW
VR010201455

Annie

Added The Valuation Rolls only give the Tenant's name i.e. not like a census!

Would be interesting to know where Margaret was in 1925/1920 if we knew who her parents were as it would be her father on the VR's?

Wouldn't give her name but would maybe help trace near neighbours/potential father?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 March 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I overlooked that Annie - Kaye is a very odd choice of a name. Significant perhaps? Or does it relate to McKay:-\

I know that Margaret was a fairly common name in Scotland, but I keep wondering if Margaret McKay = Margaret Burke especially given they had the same occupation ....  :-\

Another possibility - Margaret Burke was previously married to a Mr McKay. They produced Alexander. Maybe Mr McKay was dead before Alexander was born hence no father's name on the birth certificate? Women sometimes remarry under their maiden name. The marriage certificate of Robert and Margaret might say she had been previously married.

Margaret Burke may have been illegitimate or her mother remarried, which may be where the McKay or Reid families come in. I would try to follow Margaret's line back.

More difficult with Scottish 1911 census but if this was in England I would be hunting around in 1911 for these people hoping to throw up some clues. :)