Author Topic: John Pope Birth 17 SEP 1739 • Winkleigh Devon Elizbeth Skinner B Eggesford  (Read 884 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Posted this under lookups in error earlier

Looking for added info on John Pope Birth 17 SEP 1739 • Winkleigh Devon and Elizbeth Skinner B Eggesford, Devon 

I believe they are my 3rd great grandparents.  I have a marriage 17 Jul 1774 in Eggesford and have copies of a Bann and a marriage document.  The officiant was from Morchard Bishop and witnesses were George Davey and  William Soull ( unsure about his last name).  Seems I am unable to attach the copies

I have no parents for Elizabeth.  I believe John Pope's parents were William Pope and Joan Lake but this is anecdotal.

I believe there were the following children

Joan Pope 1774–?  Possibly married a Thomas Rogers
    Baptized August 27, 1774 Coldridge, Devon

Mary Pope 1775–
  
 Baptized  25 Jul 1775 Brushford

Samuel Pope 1778–1849
     Baptized   25 Oct 1778 Brushford

Married a Joanna Hooper 30 Mar 1815 Winkleigh Devon

William Pope 1781–1800
    Baptized 17 Jun 1781 Brushford
Possible burial 24 Feb 1800 Brushford

Thomas Pope 1784–1847

Baptized 11 Jan 1784 Brushford
Married Grace Handcock 2 Aug 1808 Coldridge, Devon
Passed at Moor End, Devon

Elizabeth Pope 1787–
   Baptism 15 Jul 1787 Brushford
Married  Richard Baker 15 Nov 1815 witness Thomas Pope and Elias From(?)  in Brushford.  I have an image of the registration

One twist is a possible marriage for a John Pope to a Mary Packer 5 Dec 1764 - Winkleigh, Devon, England.  It seems odd that there would be two John Pope marriages in the village of Winkleigh.  Wondering if Mary Packer was a first wife who passed away but have been unable to find a death for her (Or for John Pope for that matter).  I have seen a tree with a death for a John Pope in St. Giles in 1811 but nothing points to that being the same person and I have been unable to find an actual record
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: John Pope Birth 17 SEP 1739 • Winkleigh Devon Elizbeth Skinner B Eggesford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a difference with the two marriage records though ~ the first in Winkleigh ~ this John POPE signs his name in the register. Whereas the second in 1774 ~ this John POPE leaves his mark // in the register as does Elizabeth, which could possibly suggest neither could write.

I think that witness surname could be South

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pope Birth 17 SEP 1739 Winkleigh Devon Elizbeth Skinner B Eggesford
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 21 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Some added info since earlier post.

The Packer name appears on the Bann for John Pope and Elizabeth Skinner for a marriage between Charity Packer and Richard Pope.  Seems a Packer family was nearby.

I found a baptism 30 Jan 1739 for a Mary Packer, daughter of George Packer and Penelope.  Some trees have her as Penelope Lethbridge but no document thus far.

I have not been able to see the actual marriage document for Mary Packer and John Pope. 

Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath