Author Topic: Having Trouble Emailing Photos/pictures.  (Read 1475 times)

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Having Trouble Emailing Photos/pictures.
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Keep getting the attached Error Message . I have Windows 10 and this happens when I try to send from Pictures via "Right Click, Send to-Mail recipient" or from snipping tool "File Send to Email Recipient".  Windows Live Mail is the email that comes up when this happens.
Google tells me it is a battle between One Note & Outlook and to send them as Attachments, which is a long winded way of doing it, don't think I have ever used One Note.  Can I take it off my computer or does it come as part of the package and not able to be got rid of? Do any of you computer literate people out there have a simple solution to this problem that will be easily understood and followed.
thanks
HeatherR
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Having Trouble Emailing Photos/pictures.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've got the same problem and spent money and lots of time to get it fixed.  It seems to be the consensus on the internet that this is just one of the problems with Windows 10 and the suite of software.

So.... I use a gmail account to send direct from the photo gallery. 

No amount of persistence and mea culpa from MS has seemed to help.
Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e, Hogarth-Scott in UK & Australia, Bauch in Germany

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
I have Windows 10 and use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird as the email server.  I've never had problems e-mailing photos to Roots or anyone else.  All my photos are saved as jpeg and I just e-mail them as an attachment.  It's not difficult.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I have Windows 10 and use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird as the email server.  I've never had problems e-mailing photos to Roots or anyone else.  All my photos are saved as jpeg and I just e-mail them as an attachment.  It's not difficult.
Same here and so easy to set up and keep whatever email address one is using at the moment!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:49 GMT (UK) »
hscott21,LizzieW & Hallmark,
Thank you for the replies, forgot to say that this problem has only recently occurred, everything used to work well but not now.  I am sorry to appear dense but can you explain the easy way to set it up please keeping the original email address, have tried to work it out but have no idea what to do and don't want to make it worse.
Thanks
HeatherR.
Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
hettyhen - I'm not an expert and I'm not sure whether you are asking how to set up Thunderbird or gmail.  For Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird I just googled them and then downloaded them.  For gmail, as far as I remember I just googled gmail and followed the instructions to open an account.  Any photos I have on my 'phone I copy to a memory stick and then put the memory stick into my laptop and then automatically download the photos which just go to jpeg.  If you try to send them via your 'phone direct to computer it costs money ::)

However, I think you'd be better waiting for an expert who can explain things easily for you.

Lizzie

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you LizzieW,
 Will set up a Gmail account and see what happens then, may be forced to drag one of my 5 year old great nephews in to sort it out!
HeatherR
Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 May 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
HettyHen, just had the same problem again using Windows 10 using Outlook.  Not wishing to use my Gmail address because some companies can't use/open up Google/Gmail - I right-clicked on the photo I wanted to attach and selected the option to open the photo through Paint and then resized it down to about 30%.  Once this smaller photo was saved, I just selected the photo by highlighting the whole photo and copied and pasted into the body of the email along with the message.  That is the ONLY way I have been able to get around this problem.
Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e, Hogarth-Scott in UK & Australia, Bauch in Germany

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 May 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi hettyhen

I've no experience of windows 10, still using 7, but I have come across the occasional unhelpful error message when trying to email an attachment that's too big, or a number of attachments that add up to something too big.  I'm not saying that the error message you're getting relates to this, but you might want to consider it.  I think quite a few email programs have limits on attachment sizes, and now we all have digital cameras that take very high res photos it's quite easy to fall foul of this limit when trying to send one.

There are instructions here on rootschat covering how to use irfanview to reduce the size of an image - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,372537.0.html - but there are other ways of achieving the same end result if you don't have irfanview and don't want to download/install it.  LIke hscott21 I use ms-paint for image resizing and it's very simple.

regards
Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S