Author Topic: Steele/MacGregor of Glen Strae  (Read 4208 times)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Steele/MacGregor of Glen Strae
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, just looking for suggestions as to where to go next with this.

I have an ancestor named George Steele who was married, had a family, and died in Nova Scotia, Canada. We do not know where he came from, but on census records his son reports that his father was from Scotland on all but one year's census, where it says England.

I have reason to believe that George is descended from one Alexander Steele, born 1680 in Glen Strae, Argyll. I can see that Glen Strae isn't a town, exactly, but may have been in 1680? Anyway, I did find a genealogy written on this family. The main subject of the book is Alexander's grandson, Robert Steele of Virginia, USA, but it does have some information on Alexander. The author of the book claims that he was a MacGregor (his mother, perhaps), and was influential in the clan early in the 1700's. I have read lots about clan MacGregor and have not seen mention of Alexander Steele or Alexander MacGregor Steele anywhere.

I am trying to authenticate Alexander Steele's name and dates. According to some, his wife was Hannah McClung King who was born in Surrey, England. I do not know if McClung King is a middle and surname, or perhaps a surname and first marriage name. I have one possible baptism record for Hannah in April of 1681 and a sketchy record of a marriage to Alexander Steele in 1710, Argyll. (making Hanna nearly 30 yrs old, so could have been a second marriage)

According to a biographical sketch written by another Steele descendant in 1921, Alexander had three sons, all of whom emigrated to Virginia in the mid-1740's. One remained in Virginia, one moved to North Carolina and the third son, whose name is unknown, left for Connecticut. The descendants of the first two sons are well documented, but the third son was not heard from again.

I am trying to see if perhaps my George Steele comes from the branch of this vanished son of Alexander Steele, but first want to verify, if possible, the existence of Alexander (MacGregor) Steele and his wife and sons. Are there resources that would go back as far as his birth in 1680? Or, where could I look next to find evidence of him?

Thanks for reading!

K
Scotland: Reid

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steele/MacGregor of Glen Strae
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
There are certainly Steele's in South Uist!

Skoosh.

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Are there? Well that's good to know. We thought for a time that our Steele's were from England, but it's looking more like they were Scots! Thanks.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
There are certainly Steele's in South Uist!

There sure are Skoosh  ;D

I'm descended from those Steele's but unfortunately there are no records pre early 1820's.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I also have the name George Steele (2) in my tree but not far enough back unfortunately.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
My George Steele was born circa 1795-1800 and ended up in Nova Scotia.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Ladyk,

Can you list the names of children please?

I know that Uist folks emigrated to Canada in several different eras.

My own 2 x g g/father was an Alexander Steele & his mother was named Hannah although her m/s was Johnston(e) but not far enough back.

I just wondered if the kids names fit with the 'norm' for Uist names.

As your folks married in Canada this would probably have no bearing on the surname MacGregor which wasn't a Uist name i.e. a chance meeting.

Annie

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
The Alexander Steele b 1680 had at least three sons. They were named Robert, Reuben and possibly John, though that one is not confirmed.

George Steele, who turns up in Nova Scotia by 1830 when he marries Rebecca Fulton in Upper Stewiacke, has at least three children. Their names were Alexander, Mary and Martha. Martha was likely named for Rebecca's mother whose name was Martha.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
My George Steele was born circa 1795-1800 and ended up in Nova Scotia.

Do you know the name of the ship he arrived on?

Annie