Author Topic: Steele/MacGregor of Glen Strae  (Read 4207 times)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Steele/MacGregor of Glen Strae
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
No, we do not know exactly where he came from! Although all but one of the census records of his son Alexander lists his father's birthplace as Scotland and the one report says England.

If it helps, Alexander of 1680's son Reuben had a slew of children. Their names were:

Jane
Hannah
Jeremie
James
Margaret
Jennie
Lettie
Walter
John
Samuel
Robert
Scotland: Reid

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
George Steele, who turns up in Nova Scotia by 1830 when he marries Rebecca Fulton in Upper Stewiacke, has at least three children. Their names were Alexander, Mary and Martha. Martha was likely named for Rebecca's mother whose name was Martha.

This one seems to defy the naming pattern  ;D

Normally the 1st son named after paternal g/father, 1st dau named after maternal g/mother.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
all but one of the census records of his son Alexander lists his father's birthplace as Scotland and the one report says England.

If it helps, Alexander of 1680's son Reuben had a slew of children. Their names were:

Jane
Hannah
Jeremie
James
Margaret
Jennie
Lettie
Walter
John
Samuel
Robert

I would say there's a good probability from son Alexander giving Scotland as his father's p.o.b. so often that would be true.
I have known/seen p.o.b. stated as Scotland, England which/whether they thought Scotland to be in England rather than in the UK which is a wee bit different  ;D

Have you managed to confirm any of the children's forenames from the maternal line's names?

There are a few which could be Uist but I can't say any are definitely not as it's too far back from records I've seen but I have highlighted the ones I know to be/could be;

Jane
Hannah
Jeremie
James
Margaret
Jennie
Lettie
Walter
John
Samuel (not common)
Robert (not common)

Annie

Added, 'not common' meaning not unheard of.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Thistle22

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I am currently researching Alexander Steele. I have that he is from Glen, Scotland about 1680. He would be my 8th great grandfather via his son Reuben. I do not have a lot of information on the Steele's at this time. I am having a hard time with Scotland records. I keep telling my husband we should just move there, but that hasn't worked yet. lol

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I have that he is from Glen, Scotland about 1680.
A glen is a valley in Scotland, and there are literally hundreds of places called 'Glen.....' but I've never heard of one just called Glen.

As for Scottish records, the place to look is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, which is pretty much the only online source of original older Scottish records. However there are lots of gaps in the records, and the further back you go the more gaps there are. Realistically, your chances of finding your Alexander Steel(e) with just the information in your post are very small indeed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:06 GMT (UK) »
A glen is a valley in Scotland, and there are literally hundreds of places called 'Glen.....'

Agree Forfarian but probably more 1000s than 100s  ;D

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 21:23 GMT (UK) »
A glen is a valley in Scotland, and there are literally hundreds of places called 'Glen.....'

Agree Forfarian but probably more 1000s than 100s  ;D
You could well be right. I didn't want to exaggerate :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 February 20 10:59 GMT (UK) »
There is Glen estate, the home of the Tenant family in the Borders but unlikely to be that?

Skoosh.