Author Topic: Marriage look up Newcastle archives,  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Marriage look up Newcastle archives,
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 08:30 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is going into the archives in the next couple of weeks
and have half an hour to assist me,I could do with a huge favour and I need  some help,
I would be most grateful,if all fails I will buy the certs,
the marriages would have been possibly been

St George's Bell Square Elizabeth Gibson,free bmd,Newcastle, December 1908

St Josephs ,Ellen Steele,free bmd,Newcastle June 1926,

I know Ellen was a widow but I would hope to find that Joseph was also a widower on the second marriage his father would have been Michael,I may be barking up the wrong tree here,
I have some details but would like to confirm or refute that both marriages were
to the same chap.
Cheers
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up Newcastle archives,
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a death on FreeBMD for an Elizabeth W Spoors

Jun 1918 Newcastle T vol 10b p 112 aged 29

Age 29 gives a birth year of 1889 which fits with the age given in the 1911 Census.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Emeltom,

I have spotted this marriage death and census,and the fact they have a daughter in the 1911 census
she reappears years later in Yorkshire,living as Winifred Hanson
I was unaware of the first marriage and child when I started this research,so to dot the I's I need to check the marriage details,sadly I am not able to just hop on the bus to the archives for a little while,
thanks for the input very much appreciated
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliffe,  I was passing Tyne and Wear Archives today so I have popped in for you.  Could this be the record you are after?

Benwell, St Joseph Roman Catholic Church - on microfilm 2329
Marriage Date: 8 May 1926
Joseph Cuthbertum Spoors son of Michaelis & Teresa Spoors (Robinson)
&
Helena Steele (olim Barry)
of 230 Clara Street
daughter of Michaelis Spoors & Teresa Spoors (olim Robinson)
Witnesses recorded as: Guilielmus Rogan & Margarita Jamieson
Ceremony was by Joannes Guilielmus Milroy

I hope this is the right record for you.  As the couple's parents have the same names I wonder if they were cousins?  I suppose even if this is not what you are looking for at least you will be able to rule this one out.  Best Wishes. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
For the other marriage of Elizabeth Gibson - do you mean that she was married at St George RC, Bell's Close rather Bell's Square.  I have checked the Bell's Close for you and cannot see a marriage for someone of that name there?  Do you know of another Church she may have likely married at?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very very much
this is fabulous and the correct marriage for Ellen she was a widow xxx
River Tyne Lass xxx

The other marriage I am now stumped it is on ancestry
as Joseph Cuthbert Spoors and Elizabeth Gibson O/N/D 1908
I know the family also used St Joseph's

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,
Prepare to be stumped no longer as I think I have found the marriage you are looking for today! :)

Marriage Place: Benwell, St Joseph
Date: 13 November 1908
Josephum Cuthbertum Spoors son of Michaelis Spoors
&
Elizabestram? (sic) Gibson daughter of Guilielmi Gibson
Witnesses were: Teresia Spoors & Winifrida Donnison? or Bonnison? & Joannes Rogers
Ceremony was performed by: Joannes Rogers

Also, at the side of the entry is written that Joseph was born on November 26 1887 and baptized at Bells Close.  At the bottom  of the entry are some latin words which are not easy to read and I must admit I do not understand the meaning.  Perhaps some other Rootschatter out there may be able to help further with this.  The writing seems to say: 'Bisp oblinla H musit selif'  but it is possible that I have deciphered this incorrectly.

The Bells Close, St George RC Church entry records that Joseph was born on 26 November 1887 and was baptized on 29 November 1887.  God parents were:  Thomas (Segriff?) and Maria Isabella Forster.
There is a lot of very small writing in the left hand margin which is very difficult to read but there are two references to women called Elizabeth Spoors and Helena Steel and the 1926 marriage.  Perhaps you may want to put out another post to see if anyone can see very small writing better than I can.  A bit lower down again is a reference to 'Lemington' and I think this refers to where they lived.

Finally, close to the marriage entry for Joseph and Elizabeth I found an marriage on 4 January 1909 for a Michaelim Spoors son of Michaeli Waterman Spoors.  Could this be a brother of Joseph?
Let me know if you wish me to send full details of this marriage as well as I have recorded the entry if you this this is related to the family you are researching.

Best Wishes.  I am so pleased to have been able to help you today! :) :)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Completed thank you
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
This is fabulous I wish I had been cheeky and asked earlier
it ties everything together that I had worked out and it has dotted the I's big time
thank you for all your help

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 February 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Radcliffe, I have been following this post with interest. In a collateral Spoor(s) line of mine, I have THREE Cuthbert Spoors - beginning in 1893 and progressing directly back all in Newcastle. This is a very unusual forename in my family and it appears that all of the ones I have found thus far in Newcastle are related. I feel confident that your Cuthbert may also be related. Do you have any more details on your Cuthbert's Father, Michael? Sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL