Author Topic: Marriage look up Newcastle archives,  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Larry 48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up Newcastle archives,
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 August 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there , I am new to this so bear with me.  The Winifred Hanson ne้ Spoors who moved to Yorkshire was my Grandmother, she was the eldest child of Joseph Cuthbert Spoors & Elizabeth Gibson. Her mother died and her father remarried and went on to have another family. We have a list of the spoors family (Joseph's siblings) that were given to my grandma by her grandmother Teresa ne้ Gardiner, wife of Michael Spoors. Mary Robinson is the mother of Michael Spoors and I do have information that says they originated from the village mentioned  in Northumberland before moving to Newcastle. My Grandma & her brother & Sister lived with their grandmother before going into a convent orphanage when she became to frail or ill to care for them. We even have an odd letter of correspondence between her & her grandmother after she moved to Yorkshire when she was just 15. Anymore info you can give me into this family would be much appreciated & I would be glad to help in any area I can.

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 August 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Larry 48 and a very warm welcome to Rootschat!  ;D  While this is not my direct SPOOR line, I do have reams of additional information pertaining to earlier generations of your family. I am certain you will also hear from Radcliffe who is much more closely related to you.  While it is true that your Spoor family migrated from County Durham up into Newcastle-on-Tyne area, earlier than that, it appears they were living in the Netherwitton area of Northumberland. Also, I am not surprised that your Winifred moved to Yorkshire, as there is a branch of Spoor(s) who migrated from County Durham and settled around the greater Sheffield area. Perhaps she moved there to be closer to some distant relatives???  In earlier times, many of the Spoor men were involved in metal working and fabrication of various sorts. Some were blacksmith, and some even went on to become anchor manufacturers and such.  If you would please make two more posts to this thread, we will be able to exchange personal emails if you so desire.  Anxiously awaiting your response! Sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Larry 48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 August 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have shown my brother this, he has all the info on this at the moment, she and her younger sister were avid family historians. I'm not aware of the Sheffield link. My grandma came to the Yorkshire Dales, her sister to London then onto America, & her brother to Scotland as far as I was told. We have a couple of photographs of I think, Teresa Spoors and a couple of my grandmas cousins, this is info from my mum passed to her. Such a shame she would have loved to have got new information. My grandma did meet up with her dad when he came to visit once, but I'm only aware of the once. Awaiting more replays.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 December 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

To those of you with an interest in this Spoors family

A while back now I did some marriage look ups for Radcliff.  I am now at the library doing some other research.  Purely by coincidence, I have stumbled on the death notice for Elizabeth Spoors nee Gibson.  I am posting this here as it may be of interest to some of you:

Evening Chronicle - Wednesday April 10 1918:
'SPOORS - 34, Hindhaugh Street, the residence of her parents 7th inst., aged 20 years, Elizabeth, dearly beloved wife of Sergt. Joseph Spoors (now in Italy), beloved daughter of William (slater, of this city) and Ann Gibson.  Interment Elswick, Thursday; leave residence 12.45.  Deeply mourned by her father, mother, sisters and brothers.  All friends kindly invited. R.I.P.'

Merry Christmas Everyone :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 December 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
There must have been a misprint error in the paper for Elizabeth's age - if she was only 20 at death she would have married at 10 - impossible! ::)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 December 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
such fabulous news,and how lax of me not to come back to my own post I missed Larry's reply am over the moon xxx
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 December 17 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Larry doesn't seem to have been on here for a while.  However, hopefully he will see your post soon and you will be able to connect with your shared connection with this Spoors family.  There must have been a blip in your email notification Radcliff.  What a nice surprise this must have been for you to see Larry's post after all this time :D

Best Wishes :)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 December 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I only came across it when the notification came through from you thank you for all your hard work River Tyne,
much appreciated xxx
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas everyone,
Larry has made contact,I am over the moon,as I wish to discuss living relatives I will be carrying this research on in private xxx
Thank you all for your input and I will continue to search for Monica Mary the other missing child who we believe may have gone to America after her marriage