Author Topic: Wondering if I should order naturalization records  (Read 1375 times)

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wondering if I should order naturalization records
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my great-great-grandmother's cousin as I'm hoping it may lead me to my GGGM's birthplace. I found out that he naturalized in Glasgow in 1937, and I'm debating ordering the certificate. (His name is Israel Mail and this is the record for the naturalization certificate)

Can anyone confirm what information the certificate is likely to have?

I already know his birthplace, parents' names, and Glasgow addresses. I have gotten a copy of his marriage record and 1911 census records from ScottishPeople. Am I likely to get any new information from the naturalization certificate?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering if I should order naturalization records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I got naturalisation documents about someone who married into my family. They ran to several pages and included statements about his place and date of birth, how long he had been in the UK, to whom he was married etc. Also a statement from himself, and statements from two people in support of his application. Finally, his declaration of intent to behave appropriately after being granted UK nationality.

The place of birth was simply given as 'in the province of Ukraine, in the northern part of Poland, now under the domination of Russia', so it was not very precise.

I would be surprised if there were details of the birthplaces of his parents or grandparents, but you won't know until you have a look at the documents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
my great grandfathers naturalization document had all different addresses he lived at during WW1 a

his exact birthplace

and a Photo

mind you his first document didnt even say he was from Russia ..he got arrested for being an alien with insufficient documentation ....
as a travelling salesman he probably needed a more complete document .

would you be disappointed if you paid for it and it had no extra information ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
would you be disappointed if you paid for it and it had no extra information ?

Yes, just because he's not in my direct line. I've also heard the documents can be quite expensive so probably not worth it to me unless there's a good chance of new info.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
If the reference starts with HO 334 t's just the naturalisation certificate, so it won't tell you anything that you don't already know. The documents that give you all the wonderful details are naturalisation case papers, if they survive. They would be in series HO 405 for this period, and they are name-indexed, but there doesn't seem to be one for him.

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 17 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Mean_genie, that is exactly the information I was looking for!

It's a shame there's no HO 405 file for him, though. I'll keep researching, and maybe I'll go have a look at the naturalization certificate when I'm in London later in the year.

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 June 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
Mean_genie, I'm still thinking about this one. Do you know where I can find an example of an HO334 naturalization certificate? I've got a half-day in London tomorrow, but I can't decide if it's worth going to the archives to see it.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 June 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
I googled it & searched images. Plenty of them to see there :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
I googled it & searched images. Plenty of them to see there :)
flst

Thanks, flst. I can imagine that must have seemed like a stupid question to you. I should have stated that because I was traveling, I only had 2G internet access through my phone and wasn't easily able to scroll through Google Images. Although I looked before posting, trying to narrow it down to one that was from the same era was difficult. After searching, and with limited time left (I had to request the document for reading before 5 p.m.) I posted here in the hopes of getting more information.

I didn't end up going to the archives but put in a request for a search for the document anyway. Probably a waste of money, but I had such limited time and internet access while I was in the UK, that it seemed like the better option.