Author Topic: Haughton  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haughton
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information on the Haughton family. My father Thomas Haughton was born in Middleton near Cork in 1904, but some of his ancestors were born in Carlow. Some of his ancestors were Thomas and James, and there was a Samuel and Samuel Gilmore Haughton. I would be interested to know if anyone else has a link to this family or is researching the family tree. I believe the family may have originated in England, and were Quakers.
Carey, Haughton, Reid, Duffin

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Haughton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
1911 Census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Middleton_Urban/Glebe/434313/

Is this Thomas, born 1904, and family? Click on "Household Return (Form A)" to view original.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
If that's the family, probable marriage Patrick and Margaret (1911 census says married 13 years)

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1897/10457/5808178.pdf

It's the last certificate.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
The marriage cert has Patrick's father as "William, carpenter".

The 1911 Census has "Patrick Haughton, age 42 (born about 1869), born Cork City". This birth registration does not quite fit the 1911 Census but is a strong candidate for Patrick

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03526/2297577.pdf

See Entry No 375. The birth place is not far from Cork and the father's name/occupation matches Patrick's marriage certificate.

I have found a birth registration for a Thomas Haughton in 1904 - do you have your father's birth certificate?

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 17 10:22 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the info, sorry for delay in getting back I have had some internet problems. I have a photocopy of Dad's birth cert but it is a very poor copy.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear of your internet difficulties.

I've just twigged that some of the references/links I have given you above to click on don't deliver the images of the documents I have found. It presents you with a "test" to pass successfully before it lets you see the documents.
So, have you been able to see the birth certificate of Patrick Haughton, born 1866 or his marriage certificate 1897 (married Margaret Jones). These appear to be the parents of Thomas Haughton, born 18 Oct 1904.

Does your copy of your father's birth certificate show his parents as Patrick Haughton and Margaret (maiden name Jones)?

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I am pretty sure they are his parents, as my brother has also done some research, and has started constructing a family tree. Advice from Ancestry is not to necessarily trust the research of others hence my current research here, rather than relying completely on what my brother has done. I really appreciate your help and will try and access the info you have provided. My Dad was definitely baptised at Cobh so it makes sense his birth cert was there also. I'm actually also interested in looking back further as my brother has done a certain amount of the work. In our family I think there were quite a few Samuel's, Patricks, Williams etc, so likely to be confusing!!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was called Mary Jane Haughton, she was the daughter of Charles Haughton & Elizabeth Arnold, they lived in Killeshandra, Co Cavan,
Don't know if there is any relationship to your Haughtons.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't know, possibly there is a connection. I have a photo of a Janey Haughton, who I believe was my father's aunt, though I can't find her on the family tree my brother has done. When was Mary Jane born?, and her father Charles?