Author Topic: Haughton  (Read 4871 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Haughton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace Charles & Elizabeth Haughton of Coromahon, Killeshandra. There is a tomb in Croghan cemetry Killeshandra with the following inscription on it :

"Sacred to the memory of Charles Haughton of Coromahon.  Died 13 May 1870 aged 69 years. 'Mark the upright and behold the just.  For the end of that man is peace.'  Also his wife Elizabeth Haughton.  Died 15th February 1887, aged 79 years.  'Blessed are the dead Which die in the Lord.'"

From the inscription it looks like Charles was born in 1801 & Elizabeth was born in 1808.

I believe that my great grandmother Mary Jane Wilson's maiden name was Haughton before she married ( she died 14th March 1921). Mary Jane was married to John Wilson who died 19th Dec 1926. Unfortunately I do not have their dates of birth, all I know is that Mary Jane & John Wilson lived in Coromahon House too.

I have tried using IGI and cannot find anything.
Any help to establish any information on the missing generations with the Haughton and Wilson links would be appreciated

Thanks

Margaret
This is a quote from an old post in 2007. I have Mary Jane's date of birth somewhere but not to hand.
At least you can see if it is of use.
:):)
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Where is Coromahon?
Carey, Haughton, Reid, Duffin

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Coromahon is the name of the house that my ancestors lived in, it is still in existence today, my cousin lives there with his family. It is in Killeshandra, Co Cavan.
The town land was Loughnafin/ Rockfield. they are buried in Croghan, Killeshandra, Hallmark on this site has taken photos of the graves in the cemetry and the Haughton grave is there.

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Birth - Thomas Haughton born Coolgrena Lodge, 18 Oct 1904, parents Patrick, gardener and Margaret, formerly Jones

From Patrick and Margaret's marriage certificate, Apr 25 1897, "father William Haughton, carpenter"

There's a birth cert for a Patrick Haughton, born 16 Mar 1866, Shanbally, parents William, carpenter, mother Mary, formerly McDonne(?).

William Haughton, carpenter and Mary, formerly McDonnell, address Shanbally, also registered the births of the following -
April 13 1875, Richard
Jan 16 1868, William
Mar 5 1864, James
Dec 4 1871, Catherine
May 25 1870, Jane (although William's occupation is given as "labourer")

Still checking out an Ellen Haughton, born 26 April 1874
   ---

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I've just submitted a correction to Irish Genealogy.
Lilly Wilson's marriage (eldest daughter "John Wilson, Coromahon") had been recorded as Lilly Wilmott - the original is quite clear. She married a William Baird, May 9 1899.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for updating this on Irish Genealogy.
Lily was one of my grandfather's (Charles Haughton Wilson) sisters, he had another sister Margaret who married Andrew Baird, 2 sisters married 2 brothers.
 :) :)

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I've checked on the family tree my brother has worked on and there is no sign of a Charles, so maybe yours a different branch of the family,
Mary

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 March 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
The death of a William Haughton, age 40, was registered in the Fermoy district the 3rd qtr. 1875 -
calculated year of birth 1835.

What details appear in the family tree for William Haughton, father of Patrick, grandfather of Thomas?

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi its been a while since I've been here, but I'm off to Ireland soon so hence trying to tie up some bits. I have Patricks birth cert and marriage cert to Margaret Jones. I know his parents were William and Mary Mc Donell, but what I am stuck on is who were William's parents? On Ancestry it says his parents are Samuel 1787-1874 and Catherine Thompson 1795-1865. However that Samuel appears to have been married to Sarah Hancock and had 8 children, none of whom were named William!! So it doesn't add up. If this Samuel was his father that would be the link to Carlow. Any thoughts?