Author Topic: O'Hare Family - "Samaria" 1953  (Read 1082 times)

Offline kimberlybell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Hare Family - "Samaria" 1953
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Hoping for some tips on where to progress please?

I have the passenger information for my Great Aunt her two sons traveling to Quebec on the Samaria ship from Southampton on 1st September 1953.

I also know they settled in Hamilton for a while, had another daughter, and can even say what street they lived on (Primrose Street).

Although I think my Aunt died sometime around 2003, (she stopped returning my mother's letters) I cannot find any information on where or the exact date she died, where she was living at the time, or where her sons and daughter is.

I know one of her sons, Liam O'Hare was a primary school teacher who died in a car accident in 1985 and that her daughter (Sheila) married a man named Cameron (No idea about the surname). She also had another son named Patrick O'Hare (needle in a haystack name though) :D

Any ideas on where i can go from here?  The Family were from Newry, County Down originally.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

thanks

Kim

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Hare Family - "Samaria" 1953
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cangmg/ontario/southern/wentwort/ancaster/ancaster/resurrec/sect3/o'hare2.jpg

Is this your family?  Gravestone found at Resurrection Roman Catholic Cemetery, Wentworth County, Ancaster Township, Ontario.  Doreen and William are on voters lists for Hamilton in 1963.

Offline kimberlybell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Ha! Yes that's them! Wow, that was quick! Was that free to search?

thanks so much!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
yes free to search.  there is a link to the cemetery office.  Doreen might be buried there as well.  Not sure when the photos were taken.
What was Doreen's maiden name?  Sometimes makes it easier to pull up an obituary.
There were listings for a D. O'Hare in Burlington up until 2002.  that's as far as ancestry takes the information base.

You could contact Hamilton Public Library and ask for them to check their directories for the O'Hare family.  Might give you a better idea as to their whereabouts.

Offline kimberlybell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, i'll guess that she died around 2002 then - that would make a lot of sense.  Unfortunately, i have no idea what her maiden name was; William O'Hare was my maternal great uncle - he married Doreen before my mother was born so I don't have any information on her. 

Do you know of any (free) Canadian marriage listings?  Just wondering if I could track down Sheila and her husband Cameron.

Thanks so much for your help.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Everything like that is protected under privacy laws in Canada.  Marriages in Ontario have only been released up until around 1934.  That's why we look at cemeteries and obituaries.  If you have the library look at their directories it might show when Sheila moved out of the house.  That could be for schooling or marriage.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Canada, Selected School Yearbooks, 1908-2010 - have possible photographs of the 3 O'Hare children you named  - 1964 - 1970

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
There were also 3 Cameron's listed that I could see.  So far their surnames haven't brought up anything for me although there is a Canada 411 listing for an S & C ________ in Burlington.  The blank being one of the surnames associated with Cameron from same school as Doreen's daughter.