Author Topic: Adelaide Godin (Pos from Castille region) help required please  (Read 787 times)

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adelaide Godin (Pos from Castille region) help required please
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out a bit more about  an Adelaide Godin (born 1844/45). I think she might have come from the Castille area but not really sure about that. I know that she was  married to a Ludoire Marie Thiboumery in 1863 when she was 18. She later had 3 children with a Francis Jonathan Adams in the 1860s/1870s. I am fairly sure that she would then have lived in London, possibly in the Holborn area. I would like to find out where she was born and a bit more about her family but have so far been unable to find out any more about her.

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can provide. Thanks as always

All the best
Paul Crook

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Godin (Pos from Castille region) help required please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Adelaide married Ludoire Marie Thiboumery 1863 - I see this took place in London, do you have a copy of the marriage certificate?
I can see two children registered under the name Thiboumery, and on the GRO index with mother's maiden name Godin:

Marie, in 1862 (Islington)
Adelaide Marie Rose, in 1866 (Hackney)

There is also a boy in 1864 registered as Louis Thiboumery but mother's name is given as Isodin on the GRO index - may just be a mistranscription for a poorly written Godin on the original.

There are also some Adams children with mother's name listed as Godin:
Willie Francis Adams, 1876 (Mile End)
Robert Jonathan Adams, 1879 (Mile End)

I would guess that Adelaide's death may be the 1879 death of an Adelaide Adams in Mile End - the age matches up.

I can't seem to trace any of the parents or children on censuses other than this possible for Ludoire as Ludovic in 1861: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MG-X4MJ

Which of the children are you connected to / know about?

Now, there is also a marriage, 12 Nov 1887 in Paris (14e) for a Louis Thiboumery who was born 18 July 1864, in England, the son of Ludovic Thiboumery, aged 57 and residing in Sevres in 1887, consenting and present at marriage, and his wife, a woman listed in this record as Adele Felicite Rodin", who is listed as 'absent sans nouvelles' which I believe would indicate that her whereabouts were not known to her son/husband at this time.

This would match up with a birth in London of a "Adèle Félicite Godin", Sep 1844 quarter, St Lukes.

GRO index has her mother's maiden name as "Gittins" which would make these siblings:
Jane Elizabeth Godin (mmn Gittins), 1849 J quarter Strand
Letitia Gittins Godin (mmn Gittens), 1848 J quarter Strand

Although Letitia appears in the 1871 census and can be traced in later life, and Jane probably married in London in 1873, they are all very very difficult to find in any other records such as censuses! You may need some certificates to go further.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Oh, could this be them in 1861? Two households on familysearch:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M2-P3MF
 - Vincent Godwin, b. France, and wife Elizabeth, and a daughter Clara (page 21)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M2-P32Y
 - same reference, page 22, Adele, "Lititia", and Jane Godwin, also a son Henry

Vincent Nicholas Godin d. Kensington in 1867
There is also a reference to a baptism for a child:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQYQ-9VK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Jorose

I have just posted in London forum too ! I did that before I saw your reply so I will try to delete my second posting.

I have a friend who is looking into the Adams family tree. I must admit I can't remember which of the two Adams's is his grandfather but I think it's probably Robert. I'll have to double check that tomorrow. I know he has had a lot of difficulty with Adelaide so I thought I would give this forum a try for him (I have had a lot of help with my own family tree from several members and know how good this site is).

Thank you very much again for all your help. I don't think he knows much that you have told me so I am sure it will be of great help to him.

All the best
Paul Crook

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
if it helps
www.geneanet.org
Adelaide Godin
England
search
Adelaide F Godin b 1844 -  St Columba ,Haggerstone - St Leonard ,Shoreditch ,London
haven't a clue what it means - but - could they be the 2 churches she married in ? ???
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hmm according to one tree - do you know any Soyer family from France - the tree owners surname

Louis THIBOUMERY
•Born 18 July 1864 - Greenvich, Angleterre, Middlesex
................................................................................
Parents
•Ludovic Marie THIBOUMERY 1830-1887/
◦Adèle Félicité RODIN
•Married 12 November 1887, Paris-XIVème, 75114, Paris, Île-de-France, France, to Eugénie Sabine DAYNAT 1867- , divorced 12 April 1900
.........................................................................................
so was Adelaide Godin an Anglicised name ? was she born Adele Felicitie Rodin??
OR
is this a totally different family ??
is Ludoire actually Ludovic  and Adelaide actually Adele Felicitie ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks garstonite. Sorry hadn't replied earlier. Having internet trouble. I'll pass your reply on to my friend whose family I am looking into. I'll probably post again later on. Thanks for your help.
All the best
Paul

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

having spoken to my friend re Adelaide Godin he says there is some connection to Barajas (place and/or family) and that the family were told she was born in a castle. Not sure how accurate any of that is, it could just be chinese whispers and the story has changed over the years.

Paul

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 February 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just an update to garstonite's reply yesterday, according to wikipedia St Columba Haggerston was a district church created by the year 1863 and lay within the boundaries of the civil parish of St Leonard Shoreditch.. Just to clear that one up

Paul