Author Topic: William Thomas HEXTALL convicted 1837  (Read 2567 times)

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thomas HEXTALL convicted 1837
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »

Leicester QS 2nd Jan, 1837 Life

William Thomas Hextall was tried and convicted on 3nd Jan. 1837 for stealing two cows and sentenced for life. (Age 22) His 'Native Place' was recorded as Sapcot (presumably Sapcote) His 'Trade' was "Butcher, Plowman, Labourer, Shepherd."
His description was: fresh complexion, sandy hair, hazel eyes, no markings.
He was sent out on the "ELPHINSTONE" in 1837. It left London 29th May, 1837.
Arrived Hobart Tasmania 2nd Oct.1837. (Elphinstone 2 142)
Transported for stealing two cows. Received a "Good report" on his trial. Connections believed respectable.
Hulk report good, One child, Stated this offence: Stealing 2 cows.

MARRIED XXX?  WIFE MARY AT STONY ARTIFORE???

William had a 'permission to marry' in 31 july 1847 to a Harriet DOUGHTY, also a convict. Cannot find an actual marriage.

What I would like to find out is...Did William have a wife and child before transportation?

Any hints I can follow up on?
Thanks
Dianne

Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas HEXTALL convicted 1837
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the Prison Hulk records - it says he had a wife and one child?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it does say 'Hulk report Good 'One Child' I wish I could upload the actual page.
Actual words are.   'Stated offence Stealing 3 Cows. Married When ?? (unreadable)  Wife Mary at Stony Aratifore.'

Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 17 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry '2 Cows'
Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:44 GMT (UK) »
I think the place is Stoney Stanton - a Jane Maria Hextall was baptised there on 26 Sep 1836, daughter of William, a butcher, & Mary.

Not finding a marriage for them in Leicestershire but a William Hextall married Mary Stevens at Nuneaton, Warwickshire on 22 May 1836.   In 1841 Jane Hextall aged 4 is living in Stoney Stanton with Thomas Stevens & family - Thomas is a 55 year old butcher. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

There's quite a number of threads at RChat re transported convicts who marry in the colonies, when they seem to have left a spouse and/or children behind.   The sentence of the court of 'transportation beyond the seas for seven years' or more effectively terminated the English marriage.   Here's a link to one of the threads:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=699561.msg5427556#msg5427556

Here's a link to Tasmania's online Archives, includes images of William's convict records, the marriage application etc.  https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 17 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Here's the 17th August 1847 marriage, indexed under HEXTALE  ::)

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-6p264j2k

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 17 03:50 GMT (UK) »
I think you will find there’s TWO chaps named William HEXTALL, one sentenced to transportation in January 1837 at age 21 arriving Van Diemen's Land 22 October 1837, and one a publican with a wife (Mary Cogan) in court in November 1837.

The Leicester Chronicle 24 September 1836
COUNTY GAOL
Committed Sept 16 by the Rev J Dyke, William Hextall, charged with stealing two cows

The Leicester Chronicle 22 October, 1836
TRIALS POSTPONED
William HEXTALL, in custody on suspicion of stealing two cows, at Croft, will not be tried until the ensuing sessions or assizes.

The Leicester Chronicle 7 January 1837
The County Sessions
Castle of Leicester ………………..
Tuesday January 3, 1837
……………………….
Analysis of the Calendar
Can Read and Write Well
William Hextall aged 21
……………………..
COW STEALING
William HEXTALL, a well-dressed young man, was charged with haven stolen two cows, the property of Mr James Brooks, from a field at Croft, five or six miles from Hickley, in the night of Monday the 12th of September.  …………………………. The evidence against the prisoner was to this effect:
From 7 o’clock until nearly 10, on the night of the robbery, he was at the house of Charles Heath, publican, in Croft, ten or eleven miles distant from his place of residence.  At 12 o’clock, John Mason, of Hinckley, watchman, met him in that town, driving two cows….  Mason inquired more than once whence he came and whither he was going, but the prisoner gave him no direct answer.  On Tuesday morning, at half-past 8,  Elizabeth Moore saw him driving two cows towards William Dowse’s slaughter-house, near Nuneaton.  On the same day, in the afternoon, as John (the brother of William) Dowse was passing the slaughter-house, with a horse and cart, he saw the prisoner quarter one cow and shoot another.  The prisoner asked him to take the hide of the cow he had shot to the tan-yard of Mr Burton at Nuneaton, and he consented.  After taking off the hide, the prisoner accompanied Dowse part of the road and stated he had bought the cows of a Mr Vox at Horseley, near Coventry, on Monday Sept 12.  Dowse left the hide at Mr Burton’s; and William Miles, servant to Mr Burton, deposed that the prisoner also brought a hide to the tan-yard.  These hides had been seen by the shepherd, Cockerill, and he deposed that they were those of the cows stolen from his master’s field.  The horns were produced in Court; and one pair was sworn to both by Mr Brooks and the shepherd, and the latter swore also to the second pair.  Mr Brooks further deposed, that the prisoner, after his committal, voluntarily confessed to him that ‘he took the cows  he found them in the lane’.  Mr Burnsby, after addressing the jury in the prisoner’s behalf, called three or four witnesses, who deposed that he had borne a good character for honesty previous to his apprehension on the present charge.
The jury returned a verdict of “Guilty”, accompanied with a recommendation to mercy on the ground of previous good character; but the Chairman said that the recommendation could be of no avail – the penalty was imperatively transportation for life; and this sentence of perpetual banishment was accordingly passed upon the prisoner.

The Leicestershire Mercury Saturday 4 November 1837.

James Warner was charged with Assaulting William HEXTALL, landlord of the Ten Bells, Sanvy-gate, on account of his refusing to supply him with drink when he was intoxicated.  The complaintant called his housekeeper, Mary Cogan (alias Mrs Hextell) to corroborate his statement.  The defendant denied the charge.  ………………….   Mr Hextall (who stated that he was only come from Mailstone in March) said that he intended to give up the house ……

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 February 17 04:02 GMT (UK) »
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-21,219,214,L,56

"Stated this offence Stealing two cows Married 1 child wife Mary at Stony Aratfore"

Cannot provide snip of the image probably due to this thread being on a Look Up Request board for an English County.

JM