Author Topic: John Mackie in Stornoway 1915  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John Mackie in Stornoway 1915
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 February 17 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Did your g/parents remain in Scotland?

Where did John die & who was the informant?

Have you checked for the info. you found on a 'Fancestry Tree' to definitely think you have the wrong info. rather than the other tree?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline EllenmacNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 17 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie, Yes sorry John McKay B1884, Married Charlotte and died in England....he is the "real" son of Samuel and Annie.....on that Marriage Cert he notes parents Samuel McKay and Annie Morley.
I'm wondering if my John was some sort of relative because he knew Samuel and Annie's details.
I'm sure that the information on the other tree is correct - I contacted the author and they are as puzzled as me.  (There has always been some mystery in the family surrounding my granda.)

Your other question....yes my grandparents remained in Port Glasgow - that's where I was born.  My parents emigrated to NZ in 1961.    John died in Port Glasgow and my father (John Angus Mackie) was the informant. 
BTW on Christina and John's MC the witnesses are noted as Thomas Arnott and Elizabeth Disher(?)
cheers E
Mackie, McKay, MacMillan, McKechnie, Irving

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
If you're happy & sure the the John in England was the correct person my other thought is....

Did the 'real' John have any older sisters who may have had an illegitimate son (your John) & possibly brought up by his g/parents, thinking they were his parents?

Or even another close family member, one of your g/parents siblings having a child out of wedlock & them bringing him up or his mother died young?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where your John was born?

Was he born Stornoway?

Annie

Offline EllenmacNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Re the sibling thing - John McKay 1884 had several siblings but all younger than him born between 1885 and 1894 so them having illegitimate child idea doesn't work.  (Funnily enough that was how I found Samuel's ancestors, as he was actually the son of his "sister" and was brought up by his grandparents, calling them parents).  I have done some investigation around Samuel's siblings - looking for a possible child born around 1890 that could have been my John, but no luck so far.

I don't know where my Granda John was born - have always assumed Glasgow, until this other John McKay came up.  I don't think he was a Stornoway native, as family stories state that he went there and met my Granny - she is from there and I have traced several generations of her people.

I did try searching for John MACKIE in the 1911 census - and one came up in Barra  - which is in the Western Isles also?  States this John Mackie was 22, Ships Carpenter, born in St Cyrus Kincardineshire ....but not that hopeful because of the occupation - I'll pursue this a little further.
My only option in establishing where he came from/who he actually is.....is if someone who knew them in Stornoway may have noted where he came from, or said he came from.......

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 February 17 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that your John's middle name was John & preferred to go by that i.e. could be a sibling of the 'real' John?

Trying to think of anything to link him to the family i.e. if the 'real' John had siblings, have you traced them all to date?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 February 17 02:36 GMT (UK) »
I do know there were 'Home' children, farmed out from the mainland to the islands but I'm unsure of when although I do know of some & have been in contact with someone who's parents were 'Homers' but I would need to check out roughly when that was as I can't remember  ::)

Annie

Offline EllenmacNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 February 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Yes I have checked out the other siblings (male) some time ago and think I found them "existing" after 1915.....marriages, children etc.  However I am going to recheck and finally eliminate them.  I also checked Samuel's siblings....looking for likely cousins and am still progressing this. 
Interesting about the "homers", I hadn't heard of them.  Anyway, thanks for your help and encouragement.....I'll keep chipping away.  Unfortunately I have lost contact with my Mackie cousins back in Scotland....but maybe I can find one of them and they may have some more clues.

cheers
Ellen