Author Topic: CONNELLY, Mary Chrysal (or Crystal) born circa 1863  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
CONNELLY, Mary Chrysal (or Crystal) born circa 1863
« on: Thursday 23 February 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I'm hoping someone can assist me with the last remaining section of a brick wall I broke down in relation to my 2x great-uncle James Smith born 1877 in Midmar, Aberdeenshire.

Mary Connelly married Robert Emslie in Montreal, Quebec in 1891.  Robert died in Montreal that same year.  The records I have do not give a more precise date than the year.  I don't know anything else about Robert but Emslie does seem to be an Aberdeenshire name.

In September 1907 Mary married James Smith also in Montreal although James resided in Cranbrook, British Columbia.  James was tragically killed in a railway accident on 11 December 1907.

Not surprisingly perhaps, poor Mary did not marry again.

The 1907 marriage record shows her middle name as "Crystal" but in her signature it appears to read "Chrysal".

Mary dies on 16 February 1936 in Medicine Hat, Alberta while visiting friends.  She is buried with James in Cranbrook and their headstone shows her birth year as 1863.  The newspaper report of her death states she was a native of Scotland.

Any assistance with identifying the birth or shipping records for Mary greatly appreciated.

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: CONNELLY, Mary Chrysal (or Crystal) born circa 1863
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names of her parents :-\ There are hundreds of births of a Mary Connelly

in Scotland. Is there no further information on either of her marriage certificates :-\

Sorry for the questions but to help we need further information :)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 17 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyful

I have included everything I know about Mary in my post.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 17 03:59 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1901 census for St Antoine,  Montreal she (shown as Mary Emsley, widow) was born on 7th May 1864 in Scotland and immigrated in 1889. Can't find a matching birth on Familysearch and nearest immigration record on Ancestry would appear to be a Mary A Connelly who arrived in Montreal on the Prussian in Oct 1887 intending to be a domestic servant. The 1891 Montreal census has a Mary Connolly working as a domestic servant  in St Antoine Ward who was age 27 born in Scotland but  of Irish parents.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Isobel.  I'll see where that takes me.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Crystal and Chrysal are unusual - I wonder if it could be Chrystal?

There is a Mary Anne Conoley, illegitimate daughter of Anne Conoley, born in Kilmadock, Perthshire on 7 May 1863. I have more than once seen a listing in the census of Canada where the day of birth is stated but the year of birth is a year out.

I think this could perhaps be because they were asked what day of the year they were born, and what age they were, and the enumerator then (mis)calculated the year of birth by subtracting the stated age from the census year. This practice, as I am constantly banging on about, gives a wrong answer three times out of four in Britain, because the census is normally taken only a quarter of the way into the year.

In 1901, the census of Canada was taken on 31 March. If this is the right Mary, she would have turned 28 just six weeks later.

Getting into the realms of speculation now, I wonder if Mary's father might have been a Chrystal? It is possible that there might be some sort of record in the Kilmadock Kirk Session records, though if Anne was a Roman Catholic there wouldn't be.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 17 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Forfarian.  The year on her headstone is 1863 so we could be onto something there.

I am waiting for the Kirk Sessions to be available through Scotlandspeople - this could be another one for the list.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 03:27 GMT (UK) »
A related thread now located here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766118.new#new

From that thread, a transcription of Robert & Mary's marriage shows her parents as "the late John Connely, clerk, [location], Scotland and his wife Annie"

The location name in the image is not clear so I have posted it here:

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 04:16 GMT (UK) »
I see from Mary Anne Conoley's birth record she was born in Doune, Kilmadock.

That appears to be a fit for the location listed for John Connoly on the marriage record image.  As Mary Anne Conoley is illegitmate, John Connoly may be an invented father.

It appears Robert Emslie's parentage may also be questionable.  The marriage record indicates his mother was Wilhelmina.  There is a Robert Adam born 28 May 1868 to Williamina Adam with a twin Edward Adam.  Robert and Edward Adams are living with Wilhelmina Adams on the 1871 census but on the 1881 census Williamia Adams has sons Robert and Edward Emslie aged 12.  There are other children listed with other surnames.