Author Topic: Ellen Williams born 1853  (Read 1236 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Williams born 1853
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 June 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
New information!! And a mystery.....

Last month in the possession of my late mother's late cousin [on the Williams side] I found a burial card for Ellen Williams aged 54 died 8 Jun 1911 Interred in Finchley Cemetery on 14 Jun grave I [=capital i] 20-69. I ordered the certificate for
Deaths Jun 1911   
WILLIAMS    Ellen    54    Kensington    1a   110
This showed Ellen aged 54 domestic cook of 20 Little Exeter St widow of Henry Williams died 8 Jun 1911 of epithelioma of the jaw informant Geo Williams brother of 48 Earl St, Edgware Rd. My great grandfather my Ellen's brother [John] George Williams lived st 48 Earl St in the 1911 census so this is definitely the Ellen I was looking for.

So I have found these censuses for her
1891 an Ellen WIlliams age 30 cook b Marylebone boarding with an Elizabeth Trowsdale umbrella maker in Devonshire St - SAME HOUSEHOLD AS BROTHER GEORGE & SUSANNA [nee Trowsdale] my great grandparents
RG12; Piece: 99; Folio: 55; Page: 4
Elizth Trousdale   73 widow b Marylebone ca 1818 - who is she BTW  ????
Ellen William [sic]   30 cook b Marylebone [should be 37]

1901 not yet found

1911 20 Little Exeter St Marylebone
Ellen Williams single no occ 54 boarder with Mary Ann Horwood 66 & daughter Louise 21 plus Emma Pryce 79 boarder

So....great - I have found her life & death BUT why did her brother say she was the widow of Henry Williams when in all the censuses she is stated as single??
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 June 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
New information!! And a mystery.....

So I have found these censuses for her
1891 an Ellen WIlliams age 30 cook b Marylebone boarding with an Elizabeth Trowsdale umbrella maker in Devonshire St - SAME HOUSEHOLD AS BROTHER GEORGE & SUSANNA [nee Trowsdale] my great grandparents
RG12; Piece: 99; Folio: 55; Page: 4
Elizth Trousdale   73 widow b Marylebone ca 1818 - who is she BTW  ????
Ellen William [sic]   30 cook b Marylebone [should be 37]

1891 census Ellen Williams is not in the same household as her brother George and Susanna - she does however have the same address 95 Devonshire St - it seems these properties were possibly flats but separate accomodation
George and Susanna are 3 households away from Ellen -if you look at the next number Devonshire St there are 4 different dwellings with the same number

Who is Elizth Trowsdale?
I believe the name Elizth (although clearly that on the image) has been misentered and I believe it should be Eleanor Trowsdale - mother of Susanna
She is in 1891 London directory Eleanor Trowsdale 95 Devonshire St Marylebone umbrella maker
She is on 1891 Eletoral register Eleanor Trowsdale 95 Devonshire St Marylebone
She can be found on earlier census with husband Charles (umberella maker) at Earl St
She possibly died 1894

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 June 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes; thanks for putting me right about the household suzard. Yes of course 'Elizth' is so likely to be Eleanor [she died 14 Mar 1894 as you say].  And there was a picture of her in the cousin's possessions as well....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON