Author Topic: 3rd Madras European Regiment 1859/1860  (Read 507 times)

Offline nat11911

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3rd Madras European Regiment 1859/1860
« on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
In late-1859/early-1860 two ships - the Great Tasmania and Conflict – left India for England carrying personnel from the 3rd Madras European Regiment, and I’m trying to find out which of these ships William Scott sailed on and whether he survived the journey, as many died on the Tasmania. (I think the ships eventually landed at Gravesend.) Does anyone know where I can find passenger lists please?

Thank you!

Chris

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Madras European Regiment 1859/1860
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
All the records of the East India Company are at the British Library in London. http://www.bl.uk/
You may also find the website of FIBIS helpful. http://www.fibis.org/

The level of detail in some of the records is astonishing.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline nat11911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Graham - I'll have a rummage in the morning and report back. :)

Offline nat11911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Well, I had a look around FIBIS (masses of info as you say) and found some interesting info on another person I'm interested in, but couldn't find a passenger list for the 2 ships unfortunately. Also looked at the British L, but need to spend a bit more time there. Thanks Graham - I'll keep digging!

Chris

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
You may well need to go to the BL yourself - or get someone to look for you. Some records are digitised but many aren't.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan