Author Topic: poorhouse records new btt old subject  (Read 2441 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: poorhouse records new btt old subject
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 March 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
There are several topics already on this subject including

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762327.msg6137509#msg6137509
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650603.msg4970278#msg4970278
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=478330.msg3373664#msg3373664

some of these threads contain links to several other threads.

Good point JenB!  :)

Marcie - it's probably best to pick an existing post and revive it rather than create new ones.  That way, we won't be duplicating searches.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
Marcie, what was your great-grandfather's name and when was he born?aug 1872
john he was adopted being born illegitimately of a servant the dukes of sutherland's household clermiston house in colinton edinburgh and the son of the duke of sutherland
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Marcie, what was your great-grandfather's name and when was he born?aug 1872
john he was adopted being born illegitimately of a servant the dukes of sutherland's household clermiston house in colinton edinburgh and the son of the duke of Sutherland's
she named him john, no surname mentioned.if she had married the father it would probably been grenville-levisongower levison-gower or geotrge grenvillesutherland levisongower, but as she didn't and if she had survived the birthing process her maiden name would have been given to her baby, but as she died about the same time as he was born , he was not given a surname until the church found him adoptive parents, and I have been unable to find out anything about his mother. or the date that he was adopted and given the surname laidlaw.ALL RECORDS NO LONGER EXIST accept if I am lucky and find the church has some from the people who were in the workhouse, died, and buried hopefully at  st.cutherts' church burial grounds in separate graves named and noted with plot numbers. if not might just as well forget it except  maybe DNA
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Clermiston House was owned by William MacFie a Sugar Merchant and Landowner ( born 1822 Leith) during the period you are interested in. There is mention of William MacFie of Clermiston as a subscriber to a national memorial for the Prince Consort in 1862 and he erected Corstorphine Hill Tower in 1871. He died in Clermiston House in 1895. The family can be found there on the 1881 and 1891 census.
Isobel
I am curious why you link Clermiston House to the Duke of Sutherland/ Leveson Gower family. There is no evidence that they ever lived there. Please see my previous post (copied above)regarding ownership of the house at the time you are interested in.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Marcie, I have to agree with Isobel ...

The Valuation Rolls (ScotlandsPeople) show that Clermiston House, with offices, garden and park, farms, etc, was in the hands of William Macfie of Liverpool in 1855, though let to Mrs Dodd (who was there in the 1851 census).
It remained in his name on successive Valuation Rolls through to his death in 1895.
The censuses of 1871, 1881, and 1891 show him in residence there himself.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: poorhouse records new but old subject
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 April 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
just been in contact with st.cuthberts' on the basis and in hope that they may have recorded the deaths from the workhouse prior to burial, and also regarding the date that john was adopted by william laidlaw and margaret anne laing. Itried to refind the tocket ing=formation that I found previously with no luck. though someone has been playiing around with my tree and added the father of john as being george laidlaw and mother agness, which is totally incorrect as  is roxborough.
 there is a john laidlaw in 1700s' who was from selkirk and worked for the duke of buccleuch who worked as a sherriff on the dukes estates and eventually married his sister maggie. or margaret scott.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 April 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
there are times when I wish I had kept my original notes, Got hold of the council offices about the property and they sent  me  info about the architect, and the builder, and who it was originally built for, but this was when I was 16-18 yrs of age, so do not have that info any more, only what I found recently, which was not McVeigh, but the foul-is family. until 1771. the rest is information which I was told of, by my grandfather, who got it from his father, when he was alive. now with everyone dead and gone who had any interest in these facts, I have no-one to refer to.I think it was built by the people who built colinton tower.

I have been in contact with mr paul mason of the current home of the Levinson-gower/the duke of sutherland gower family/ the current duke of Sutherland's residence, as dunrobin castle, do hold the countess of Sutherland's'  papers& journals etc are there. I am still waiting for a response.
 searl rogers sutherland