Author Topic: Old Maps of Blyth  (Read 2199 times)

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Maps of Blyth
« on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
In the past few days I have created a website with several old maps of Blyth and the surrounding area. http://www.peterloud.co.uk/photos/Northumberland/Blyth/Maps/Blyth-Old_Maps.html.

These maps are fascinating.  It was interesting to see how Blyth area was mostly small populated places around mines, e.g. Isabella, New Delaval, South Newsham, Cowpen, Bebside, Cambois, the more I look, the more I find.  It appears that these mine settlements expanded and joined up with the port to form Blyth as we know it today.  In the process some of those mining communities disappeared.

Cambois was the biggest surprise. The were lots of houses and industries running all along the coast north of North Blyth.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Old Maps of Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Very useful! Thanks peteloud

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Re: Old Maps of Blyth
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Good stuff, thanks for sharing Peter  ;D
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,