Author Topic: annabella foster married william john rowney 1862  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Ro net

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
annabella foster married william john rowney 1862
« on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
ive tried this for so long now im ready to give up completely. is there anybody that can find anything about his earlier family,parents brothers etc.im quite happy with the rowneys hereafter its just before William john.he would be my gt gt gt gt grandfather. thank you. much appreciated.

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: annabella foster married william john rowney 1862
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Not as familiar with Irish records but would the marriage give details of his father?

Do you know how old he was in 1862 (taking it 1862 was the year of marriage not birth) **

** answered that one, he is 58 on the 1901 census so born c1843
wife is 56 so they married rather young
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Irish 1901 census gives birth c.1843

Too late ;D
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Several previous topics=
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=739511.msg5857415#msg5857415
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=704918.9
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=709388

with an answer here-
Hi,
   3 Jun 1862 William John Roney married ISABELLA Foster in Townsend Street Presbyterian Church, Shankill, Belfast. The fathers were George Roney and William Foster.

Regards
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline idr6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how much that is new to you that I can give you about William John Roney and Annabella Foster – I presume you know she was Isabella on the marriage record.  However, this is the information I've collected about their children.

Extracting data from the records we find the following overlapping data:

Eliza  - born 14 December 1864 to William John Roney and Bella Forster at Cupar Street, Belfast with ‘Bella Roney’ being the informant and William's occupation given as printer (which is what turns up on the 1901 and 1911 censuses).  There are a couple of infant Eliza Roney deaths in Belfast in 1866, and sadly this person might well be one of them.

Margaret Jane - born 1 October 1866 to William John Roney and Anabella Foster at 29 Hutchison Street, Belfast with William being the informant having changed occupations and become a railway guard.

William John presumably ‘junior’ – born in 1868 with father a railway guard. I'll come back to him later.

Samuel – born 29 August 1870 to William John Roney and Anabella Foster in Linfield Road, Belfast with Anabella being the informant and William's occupation now being a labourer.

Annabella – born 25 March 1877 to William John Rowney and Annabella Rowney Foster.  William has returned to being a printer and the family has moved from Belfast to Newry.

There are also George (born 20 November 1872), who was my grandfather, plus Robert James – born in 1875 and Thomas – born in 1882. The last two of these moved to Scotland, as for a while before his wedding did George. Thomas seems to have settled permanently in Scotland, but Robert's family were at Lurgan during WW1. I don't know about them after that.

Anyway, the interestingly entry here is William John junior.  There is a discrepancy between the civil record and the church baptismal record on Roots Ireland.

The baptismal record gives a date of birth of 4 October 1868 with as expected Annabella Foster as the mother.  However, while the civil record gives the date of birth as as 2 November 1868 and with an Isabella McLarnon as the mother.  I think this civil record is an error.  Whether it's a transcription error or a mistake at the time, I do not know.   However, there's an interesting marriage on 4 August 1855 at Townsend Presbyterian Church (the same one as used William Roney and Annabella/Isabella Foster in 1862) with the bride being a Mary Foster (19) and the groom Samuel Potts (22).  The bride's father is William Foster (coachman), the same name as Annabella's father.  The witnesses were James McKee and Isabella McLarnon.  Could it be that Isabella McLarnon is a friend of both the ‘Foster sisters’?  I've not tried to follow the Potts household, to see if there's any supporting evidence.

That's about it.  Annabella Foster died between 1901 and 1904, when she is called deceased on Robert's marriage certificate.

Cupar Street is still there in the Springfield Road area, but I believe that Hutchison Street and Beggs Street are long gone.  The same applies for most of St. Kilda street where William John Roney spent his last days with son George and George's young family.

I'd be interested in additional detail you might wish to share with this website, about the Rowney/Fosters.

Offline idr6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Follow up.

Have just found Annabella Foster's death certificate. He and husband William John Rowney/Roney seem to have moved across to Scotland  just after 1901 (three sons did so too about this time). Annabella died of bronchitis in Glasgow on 26 January 1903. I'm sorry, but I cannot quite make out the street name.  Her mother is named on the certificate as Jane whose maiden name was McLarnon/McLernon.  See my previous post.