Author Topic: William Pope Somerset/Stonehouse  (Read 3532 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: William Pope Somerset/Stonehouse
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat nottarts.

You should be able to reply to a PM soon. For protection 2/3 posts must be made on here before a new members PM system is activated.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Pope Somerset/Stonehouse
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting newspaper article but I'm not sure how we could verify if it is the same William Pope...

I do know that he was a Royal Marine at the time but the attestation pack which lists the ships he served on does not list the Agincourt. It does however show that he was based ashore, presumably in Stonehouse at the time. A quick Wikipedia check suggests the ship was used for harbour service from 1848 so perhaps this makes sense.

I'm interested to know how you found this article... Looking back at this thread, I also noticed mention of an allotment record - I'm not familiar with the significance of that at this stage but it does correspond to the Impregnable mentioned in the attestation pack so good to know!

Thanks again,

Matt