Author Topic: Joseph Wheat and Elizabeth Atkin  (Read 695 times)

Offline sharpray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Wheat and Elizabeth Atkin
« on: Friday 24 February 17 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Could somebody with access to registers please let me know if any information is recorded for the marriage of Joseph Wheat and Elizabeth Atkin at Gedling on 6th November 1831. Any other details such as witness, parents etc would be a great help.

Thank you
sharpray

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Wheat and Elizabeth Atkin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Prior to 1837 parents are not recorded on marriages (and only then father's) and 9 times out of 10 witnesses are unrelated.

I see from the census that Joseph Wheat bc.1805 (1806 in 1851 and 1804 in 1861).  His birthplace is Thringstone, Leicestershire and this was a township in Whitwick parish.

This could well be his baptism:

Joseph Wayte bp.4/9/1803 St. John the Baptist, Whitwick, Leicestershire, son of John  and Ann.

Likewise Elizabeth Atkin - census states bc.1806 Burton Joyce, Nottinghamshire - and would suggest this is her:

Elizabeth Adkin bp.12/9/1804 Burton Joyce, Notts. dau. of John and Martha.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharpray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Wheat and Elizabeth Atkin
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette.

This is a big help. Although I don't know how Wayte could become Wheat! Accents and strange things I suppose.  I am in Australia and would never have thought of that! I have been tracing the other side of my family in Lincolnshire and some church records in that time frame give witnesses.

Thanks again I will follow it up.