Author Topic: There's been a change to your Google Account. For your security, sign in again.  (Read 3016 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
The Error: "There's been a change to your Google Account. For your security, sign in again." has been suddenly appearing on a number of Android phones and tablets, and other devices.

The advice given by Google so far is:

www.rootschat.com/links/01jkp
Hi everyone,

We've gotten reports about some users being signed out of their accounts, unexpectedly. We're investigating, but not to worry: there is no indication that this is connected to any phishing or account security threats. Please try to sign-in again at accounts.google.com and if you cannot remember your password, please use this link (g.co/recover) to recover your password.

Thanks,

Amanda | Google Play Community Manager
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline EllieMillie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: There's been a change to your Google Account. For your security, sign in again.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Could you tell me what phone and which android version you are using trystan? Same thing happened this morning to my phone with Android 6.0.1 (Nexus 7). For a moment I thought somebody hacked into my account and is logging off every of my devices. Seems like Google messed up something on their site. I would say we are safe - for now.

Ellie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: There's been a change to your Google Account. For your security, sign in again.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I had it last night - it's something that Google did with the syncing.  I double checked on laptop to see if there was any suspicious behaviour but nothing there, just my phone.

I gather, from some android forums, that  it happens quite often  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, EllieMillie. It's best if I don't give device and model number (just in case) as I'm an admin for this site. :)

It seems that it suddenly happened for a lot of people all about the same time.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
It happened for me - I have 2 Gmail accounts and had to sign in to both of them this morning.

Trystan - I thought it was just something I'd done by setting up a new Gmail to replace that bloomin' Wanadoo which is going soon  ::)

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »

I had it on my phone (Android) today and did the whole sign in thing again, but when my Resident Nerd came home I asked him about it.  He had also had it on his phone (Samsung S6) but it turned out to be a glitch in the system and not a security breach.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline trish58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Same thing happened to me last night. I ignored it, I am getting so much rubbish coming through on my laptop & mobile it isn't funny, and don't know how to stop them.

Trish  >:(
Rae, Feeney, Singleton, Appleton, Agnew, McKeachie,
Fury, & many more

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »

Maybe try signing in again like it was suggested.  I did because I didn't know any better and if I'm not signed in with my mobile then it doesn't sync to my Drive.  No rubbish comming in just what I would expect.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)