Author Topic: Cpl Thomas Thornhill Neagle  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cpl Thomas Thornhill Neagle
« on: Friday 24 February 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate information on my Great-Great-Grandfather (Thomas Thornhill Neagle).  Family history tells me that he was born in County Cork and arrived in New Zealand around 1858 with the Imperial Foot Regiment, enlistment number 2012.  He was discharged in Napier, New Zealand in 1859 and married Elizabeth Ann Jackson in 1862.

I have been unable to locate any information to verify his service details and am interested in locating this, or any details on his parents or other family members.
Cameron, Neagle, Jackson, Stewart, Brown
Stevens, Smith, Donovan, Edwards, Murchie
Everson, Blandford, Blackman
Anderson, Irving, Keddie

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cpl Thomas Thornhill Neagle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate information on my Great-Great-Grandfather (Thomas Thornhill Neagle).  Family history tells me that he was born in County Cork and arrived in New Zealand around 1858 with the Imperial Foot Regiment, enlistment number 2012.  He was discharged in Napier, New Zealand in 1859 and married Elizabeth Ann Jackson in 1862.

I have been unable to locate any information to verify his service details and am interested in locating this, or any details on his parents or other family members.
Hello & welcome to Rootschat.  Do you know what denomination Thomas was? Do you have a marriage record as it may show his fathers name. I also feel that the "Thornhill " in his name could be his mothers surname prior to marriage to Neagle as this happened on occassion.
The RC Church records are online to search Baptisms & Marriages & burials in some places www.registers.nli.ie but to browse these you would have to know the Parish in Co Cork.Civil Registration began in Ireland in 1864 so you would have to rely on Church records.
If you knew his fathers name you could browse www.nationalarchives.ie for Tithe Applotment & Griffith Valuation records also 1901/1911 censuses.

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1862 New Zealand marriage record I have, they were married in a C of E church in Napier. An Auckland baptism record matching the details we have for his wife is RC.

At the time of their marriage, they weren't required to give details of their parents, if they were 'of age'. Their record states that they were both 'full age'.  But his wife's death record says she was 19 when she married!  And, before you ask, my Great Grandfather was the eldest son, born 11 months after the wedding.

A cousin says he has seen the appropriate military records for Thomas, but I haven't been able to locate those.
Anderson, Irving, Keddie

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 17 22:58 GMT (UK) »
There's a post on another board from 2012:

"Born County Cork 22 December 1828
Travelled via Australia with the 99th Lanarkshire as convict guards in Tasmania
Transferred to the 65th (2nd Yorkshire North Riding) in New Zealand in 1856. (arrived in Auckland 11 February 1856)
Took his discharge (after completion of service) in Napier in 1859
Married Elizabeth Anne Jackson in Napier 03 November 1862.
Elizabeth Anne was apparently born in Coromandel, New Zealand 13 May 1841.
No indications either were in America at any time"

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.neagle/83.2/mb.ashx
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that would be him. A little more of the puzzle. I'll see where that takes me and see what other information comes to light here.
Anderson, Irving, Keddie

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Checked and although it gives a little information that I didn't know, the discussion was started by my cousin and neither of us has been able to confirm the parents and other history for Thomas or his wife.
Anderson, Irving, Keddie

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
family search

http://www.familysearch,org

probate 1884

Napier, Hawke's bay

left everything to his wife.

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link, we've got a pretty good handle on his life in New Zealand after he left the army.  We have absolutely no information on his life in Cork, or any details on his parents.  I'd love to know more about that, even some links to where I may be able to find something would be useful.
Anderson, Irving, Keddie

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 03:39 GMT (UK) »
About the only missing information for Thomas after his discharge is where he lived.

His electoral roll details, in the 1870s, give his qualification, to vote, as "town sections 211 & 213, Clive".  I know where modern Clive is, but don't know how to map the historical town sections onto the modern map.
Anderson, Irving, Keddie