Author Topic: Elizabeth Ann Jackson  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Ann Jackson
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Janette
JACKSON, ELIZA JANE
Plot :                                  ROMAN CATHOLIC DIVISION B Row 1, Plot 40
Date Of Death :                28-Nov-1897

Waikumete Cemetery records
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9P1-Y9SH-L?mode=g&i=27&cc=2365063

Same plot... husband James JACKSON ?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9P1-Y9S6-G?mode=g&i=25&cc=2365063

James JACKSON - Death Notice
http://tinyurl.com/zlejau7

(Why are we searching this JACKSON line. Is this something to do with a FAIR/FARE connection? See reply #14)

Regards
Beg

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Not sure, my Elizabeth Ann Neagle, née Jackson, was definitely in Napier.

Auckland baptism records suggest her parents were William and Mary (née Hunt) Jackson. When the birth of her youngest son was registered, she gave her place of birth as Auckland, but her obituary and death record say Coromandel. My father says he was always told she was born in the Coromandel.

Her death record says her father was Jackson, sailor. The baptism record says William Jackson, mariner.  The date in the baptism record aligns with her being of full age when she married my great-great-grandfather in 1862.
Cameron, Neagle, Jackson, Stewart, Brown
Stevens, Smith, Donovan, Edwards, Murchie
Everson, Blandford, Blackman
Anderson, Irving, Keddie

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:46 GMT (UK) »
So Wivenhoe and Janette must have a theory that William JACKSON (mariner) and James JACKSON (RoyalArtillery Sgt) are related, possibly siblings.

Would be nice cos an artillery man is usually pretty easy to trace ... (famous last words)

Regards
Beg

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 February 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Ooops sorry I was just giving the cemetery record after Wivenhoe posted the PP death notice

Cheers Janette

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 February 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »

She died in 1936 in Napier.  We believe her father was William Jackson, who is described as a "mariner".  We believe she had a sister Caroline and that her mother was Margaret Ann Jackson (nee Hunt).  We have information regarding baptism records from Auckland around 1843 for Caroline and Elizabeth Jackson.

Auckland baptism records suggest her parents were William and Mary (née Hunt) Jackson.

Why the difference with the supposed mother's name ?

Offline Chris Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 February 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I tend to go with Mary Ann, but I have seen one reference which describes his wife as "Margaret (sic) Ann Jackson".
Cameron, Neagle, Jackson, Stewart, Brown
Stevens, Smith, Donovan, Edwards, Murchie
Everson, Blandford, Blackman
Anderson, Irving, Keddie

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:02 GMT (UK) »
... an artillery man is usually pretty easy to trace

From the thread "JACKSON and FAIR"

"According to details on his discharge papers, James JACKSON (No. 2156) enlisted as a Gunner in the EIC*** artillery, at Westminster, in 1843.

His regiment was Madras Artillery, 1st Battalion Artillery.

They were stationed in Secunderabad 1842-1854 - and in Kamptee 1854-1855.

Also in Aden in 1846 for the defence of the garrison"

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/INDIA/2015-08/1440412544

*** EIC = East India Company

---

Worth looking at the discharge papers on FindMyPast.

Regards
Beg

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 February 17 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Worth looking at the discharge papers on FindMyPast.

Hi again...

Have been on FindMyPast and seen the discharge papers of the James JACKSON mentioned above (who may or may not be the James JACKSON mentioned by Wivenhoe and, if he is, may or may not be related to your William JACKSON)

James JACKSON was born in 1819 in the parish of Charlton (Chorlton?) in Manchester, Lancashire. He was a bricklayer by trade. He enlisted in 1843 so may well have been at home for the 1841 census. He was discharged in 1862.

"Manchester" and "1862" both tie in nicely with the Waikumete burial record in reply #18

Maybe ask on the Lancashire board for help in finding his family. Would be nice if he had a brother William who went off to sea.

Regards
Beg

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 February 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »

(Why are we searching this JACKSON line. Is this something to do with a FAIR/FARE connection? See reply #14)

Auckland Star 29 Nov 1897 p8
JACKSON-On November 28, at the residence of her daughter. Mrs J. MERRICK, St Marys Road, Ponsonby. Eliza, relict of the late James JACKSON, Sergeant E.1.E,, and only daughter of the late John FAIR, Esq., Klenkility, Cork. Ireland ; aged 64 years.

New Zealand Herald 10 Nov 1884 p2
..obit Mrs Maurice KELLY of the Wade........arrived in the colony 1841 with first husband John FAIR....

From the thread "JACKSON and FAIR"

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/INDIA/2015-08/1440412544

At reply # 14 - both death notices refer to a "John FAIR" :

First is "late John FAIR of Klenkility, Cork, Ireland" - the father of Eliza, wife of James JACKSON.
[Nothing to suggest that this John FAIR was ever in New Zealand ?]

* And the researcher (JACKSON/ FAIR thread at Rootsweb) states that Eliza and James Jackson came to New Zealand in early 1864
* The daughter of Eliza, Mrs J. MERRICK, was Caroline Agnes JACKSON born 17 Oct. 1855 , India  (baptised at Kamptee).

Would doubt that the John FAIR of Cork, Ireland, was the person appearing as a sponsor in the 1844 Auckland baptism records of the daughters of William JACKSON and Mary Ann(e) HUNT.
Can't see any obvious connection, or information  to suggest, that William JACKSON is linked to James JACKSON ???

---------

I do however think the Mrs Maurice KELLY of Wade (former wife of John FAIR - arrived 1841), is the Mary FOGARTY co-sponsor with John FAIR of the JACKSON daughters (1844).

See following >

~  Lu