Author Topic: Where is/was Spittal?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Where is/was Spittal?
« on: Friday 24 February 17 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I do actually know that Spittal is south of the mouth of the River Tweed, in the real county of Northumberland. (I don't do the post-1975 'counties'.)

What puzzles me is that in the baptism registers of the Spittal United Presbyterian Church consistently say 'Spittal Parish of Tweedmouth and County of Durham'.

Can anyone explain this apparent anomaly?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is/was Spittal?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Rather than repeating the reason for it being part of  Co Durham in those days, JenB has explained it here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=384439.msg2566071#msg2566071

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
When James IV used his artillery against Norham Castle on the Tweed it upset the bishop of Durham, this was his patch!

Skoosh.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 17 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Islandshire (Parish of Holy Island) was part of Co Durham because of the origins of the church on Holy Island.  Norhamshire (the parish of Norham) was originally the hinterland to Norham Castle, a possession of the Bishop of Durham, which one can think of as the place where he fulfilled his obligations towards defending this region from Scottish attack. Norhamshire was the district from which the Castle would have been victualled etc, so it was important that it be under the direct temporal control of the Bishop of Durham, as part of his Palatine (Co Durham) and not only as part of his wider ecclesiastical Diocese Bedlingtonshire Parish of Bedlington (the first resting-place of St Cuthbert's remains after the Community left Lindisfarne) were together taken as forming "North Durham".

7 & 8 Vict., chap. 61 (1844). By this Act detached parts of counties, which had already for parliamentary purposes been amalgamated with the county by which they were surrounded or with which the detached part had the longest common boundary (2 & 3 Wm. IV, chap. 64—1832), were annexed to the same county for all purposes; some exceptions were, however, permitted.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, everyone, for all the explanations. That all makes sense now. The only question I now need to resolve is, should I record the baptism in Spittal as in County Durham or in Northumberland?

I can think of a few anomalies north of the Border too.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about anyone else but I always use Northumberland in my records. It saves having to explain to every family member who is interested that yes, we are Northumbrian through and through and no, we don't hail from Durham  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. That does seem to be the simplest solution.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't bother with the Tyne and Wear metropolitan county name either. 

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't bother with any of the new local authority boundaries because they don't have any relevance to historical research, and just cause confusion.

The only thing is, if you want to access archives you need to know which new-fangled authority holds the ones you are interested in.

Amazing to think that the new boundaries have now been around for 40 years - which means that well over half the population has been born since the change.