Author Topic: Bennet/Bennett from Keith, Banffshire, Scotland  (Read 918 times)

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bennet/Bennett from Keith, Banffshire, Scotland
« on: Friday 24 February 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to confirm details of my 5 x gt grandfather John Bennet. From what I have found so far  from the Description Books held in WO 669/260 he was born in Keith, Banffshire c 1748 . He joined the Royal Artillery in 1768 aged 20, as a gunner. He was promoted through the ranks to bombadier, corporal and finally sergeant in 1782. When he attested to the RA he was a mason. John spent some time in Portsmouth Hampshire.  His daughter Sarah married another RA soldier in Portsmouth Cathedral in 1799 and John was a witness.

Bennet/Bennett is a very common name in Keith, Banffshire, but I am currently working on the theory that he was the John Bennet born in 1747 to Alexander Bennet and his wife Isobel Bennet. John was in the middle of the eight children this couple had. His father may have also had two sons by a previous marriage.

There are a number of people who claim to relate back to this couple who have posted over the years, but most of the posts are quite old now. If anyone is still actively researching the descendents of this couple I would love to hear from you. If you have done a DNA test, that would certainly help.

Regards

Denise