Author Topic: Glossop parish registers on film  (Read 1864 times)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
Glossop parish registers on film
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where one might access the Glossop All Saints parish registers on film, rather than as transcripts?

I have a baptism of Molly Platt on 9th December 1759, supposedly the daughter of John Platt of Mouselow, with no subsequent information found for her, and the death/burial of Mary Platt aged 29 on 2nd/4th November 1789, supposedly the daughter of James Platt of Mouselow (John's brother), with no previous information found for her.

I suspect that these two people might have been one and the same and either my transcript is wrong, the original entry attributed the 1789 event to the wrong brother or the writing is such that it is easy to confuse the names John and James.

In order to try to solve it I should like to view a film of the register but, having just come back into research after some years of relative inactivity, I'm not up to date with film locations.

Any pointers as to where a film might be available (we live in Middlesbrough but can travel) would be appreciated.

Graham

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glossop parish registers on film
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried familysearch - the LDS site. According to their catalogue they have a film of the Bishops Transcripts of the Parish Church of Glossop. You should be able to order this through your nearest LDS Family History Centre. There doesn't appear to be one in Middlesbrough but there is one in Sunderland , providing it is still open.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Derbyshire Record Office would surely be the place to go?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I got a lot of information on my Derbyshire family from the Matlock Records Office [Telephone 01629 538347].  I am not fully sure if that includes Glossop but it possibly does and you can check with them first.  They were really helpful.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick replies. I thought I had heard that the LDS centres in the north east had closed down - told you I was out of date :). However, I see that Sunderland is still open and, better still, the one at Billingham on Teesside still appears to be open.

I'll get in touch with the Billingham centre and see if they can get the film in for me.

Thanks again,
Graham

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
As you haven't added a location on your profile, I had no idea where you live? :-\

I had assumed you were in Derbyshire, because of your Glossop website.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
No problem - though, in my defence, I did say in my initial post "we live in Middlesbrough but can travel"  ;)

Graham

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
This may be of some background help.........a JOHN PLATT had several children including a Dolly and a Molly..in the 1750's..I can't find a baptim for him...
A JAMES PLATT was baptised Glossop 01.03.1739 son of Daniel and is a prime suspect age wise for your James.
James Platt a Clothier  married Martha Wood at Glossop..14.03.1756..and their first child appears to be Joshua Platt 14.03.1756........I'm looking further. .there is no evidence that John and James were related......sorry..sorry..Molly 01.11.1756 was the daughter of George Platt........Molly  1759 was daughter of John..as was Dolly 04.09.1757

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Derek.

That is the correct family. I have them back a couple of generations further through other records, including wills, which prove the relationship. I also have plenty of detail of most of their descendants.

John b ca 1726 was my 5th great grandfather and (as you mention) father of Molly, for whom the PR includes a baptism in 1759 but for whom I have found no subsequent records.
James b ca 1730 was (according to the PR) the father of Mary, who died 2 Nov 1789 aged 29 (and was buried 4 Nov) but for whom I have found no preceding records.

I actually did the research several years ago but have just come back to it and picked up on a family that I never managed to tie in, that of Thomas Platt of Hill Top farm in Glossop (one of three adjacent farms, with Mouselow and Shaw, which the family had for years). I have now found that Thomas was born illegitimate to Mary on 15 October 1789 (bpt Tintwistle 28 October 1789). The problem is which Molly/Mary?

When Dolly's husband died he left legacies to his children, to Dolly, to the widow of the brother of Dolly & Molly and to Thomas Platt of Hill Top farm, the implication being that Molly (bpt 1759) was Thomas's mother, rather than Mary (d 1789).

It is, though, rather strange that Mary (assuming she was a different person) should die just after Thomas was born (when death from childbirth complications was common) when there is no previous record of her. In addition, her supposed father James had a son (another John) baptised on 27 Jan 1761 but no baptism for Mary supposedly born a few months earlier (if, indeed, there was time for that birth as well).

My reason for wishing to view the film is to see if it is possible that the naming of Mary's father as James in 1789 could be a badly written John and that, therefore, Molly and Mary were one and the same.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but hopefully it is clear  :)

Graham